Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

The painterly vector program Expression 2 has finally been released. I thought this might be of interest to Painter users since both programs are natural-media look oriented.

If you haven't seen Expression before, check it out...

Doug Frost

------------
    Subject: Expression 2 purchase information
    Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 23:05:34 +0800
    To: "Expression List" <expr@creaturehouse.com>

This is a message from Creature House to the Expression
    Announcement List.

Expression 2 is released!
    A big thank you to all who helped us trace many bugs and who
    sent us your suggestions!

DOWNLOAD VERSIONS
    The Expression 2 Download versions are now available for
    online purchase. For price and purchase information, please
    refer to:
    http://www.creaturehouse.com/ordering.htm

PACKAGED VERSIONS
    We expect the packaged versions to be ready in January 2001.

TRYOUT VERSIONS
    If you have not used the 30-day tryout before, you can
    download it from:
    http://www.creaturehouse.com/download.htm

Creature House
    www.creaturehouse.com
    -----------
    IP

The painterly vector program Expression 2 has finally been released. I thought this might be of interest to Painter users since both programs are natural-media look oriented.

If you haven't seen Expression before, check it out...

Doug Frost

------------
    Subject: Expression 2 purchase information
    Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 23:05:34 +0800
    To: "Expression List" <expr@creaturehouse.com>

This is a message from Creature House to the Expression
    Announcement List.

Expression 2 is released!
    A big thank you to all who helped us trace many bugs and who
    sent us your suggestions!

DOWNLOAD VERSIONS
    The Expression 2 Download versions are now available for
    online purchase. For price and purchase information, please
    refer to:
    http://www.creaturehouse.com/ordering.htm

PACKAGED VERSIONS
    We expect the packaged versions to be ready in January 2001.

TRYOUT VERSIONS
    If you have not used the 30-day tryout before, you can
    download it from:
    http://www.creaturehouse.com/download.htm

Creature House
    www.creaturehouse.com
    -----------
    IP

Hi Doug and welcome to the group.
    I am glad to see new folks contributing to the Forum.
    Thanks for the info. I am not familiar with this program, is it primarily for animations?

Regards,
    Greg.
    IP

>Hi Doug and welcome to the group.
    >I am glad to see new folks contributing to the Forum.
    >Thanks for the info. I am not familiar with this program, is it primarily for animations?

Expression is a vector graphic application that generates natural media strokes, like ink brushes, watercolor and the like. Creature House created the technology for it some years ago, and it was released by Metacreations. In its original v1 release it was primarily a drawing application that an artist or illustrator would use with a graphics tablet to draw compositions. It does the same thing that the Artistic Media tool does in CorelDraw 9/10, except that Expression is much more flexible. (Expression was the first vector app. that has transparency as an object property.) The version just released has some much-needed features added, such as bitmap image support, and has been optimized so that it runs faster. You can find reviews at the major magazine sites, and the PixArt site has a short introduction. You can read the feature list at the Creature House site as well as download a 30-day limit version of the program. (It's a safe, low-impact install too.)

http://www.ruku.com/
    http://www.creaturehouse.com/

Below (if I can get this thing to work) is a sample image exported from Expression 1. Note that everything in the image is a vector shape and can be changed & adjusted at any time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Portrait.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	47.0 KB 
ID:	14912  
    IP

This is another ball dropped by Metacreations. With Flash being so popular now. This program will be used a lot by people doing vector animation. Real good program. Nice to see it finally released. I had tried the Beat out and like how it worked.

Ed Wiser
    Painter 101
    IP

frost

that is a great picture. and there is no bitmap in it? amazing. i downloaded the trial of ex1 but found that the interface was confusing. ex2 is a great improvement, with a more standardized gui. thanks for the url.

stecyk

the following is - 'Portrait.jpg' an example of what can be created in Expression.

[This message was edited by stecyk66 on December 02, 2000 at 11:38 PM.]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Portrait.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	33.4 KB 
ID:	18595  
    IP

Doug,

Thanks for bringing that to our attention. I had always wanted to try Expression . . .I am so glad it didn't vanish into the ethers .. . .

That image of yours is amazing. . .hard to believe that every stroke is a vector object. . . just wonderful!

Actually Corel Xara (now known as Xara and pronounced Zara) came out in late 1995 (possibly 1996....my recollection is fuzzy) with vector transparency and they also had gradient(graduated?) vector transparency so if Xara wasn't first... .they were a close second [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] (hehe I'm a shameles Xara fan!)

But few vector programs have ever gotten the natural brush strokes down. .. as i imagine Expression has. . ..I remember the fabulous reviews of the first version.

Ed Wiser,

Hi there fellow Louisville fan! I meant to welcome you to the forum when you first posted.. . but I allowed other things to get in my way. . forgive me for being tardy in welcoming you but .. WELCOME! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I think it all went downhill when they went from Metatools (remember the cool chrome boromean rings like logo?) to Metacreations ( remember the boring blue M curves shaped logo... coporate blah) that's probably when they courted the money grubbing lawyers... not that money is a bad thing mind you . ...but when it takes away your VISION. ... Metatools was such a visionary company. .. . (sigh) They lost their coolness when Kai left.....

once again Welcome!

and thank you to everybody who pauses to post in the forum.... this place wouldn't be the same without you [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Athena

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Athena
    Our thoughts are bounded by words. The quality of those thoughts is largely determined by the words that compose them.
    IP

"That image of yours is amazing. . .hard to believe that every stroke is a vector object. . . just wonderful!"

Note please that I didn't create that image. It's one of the sample files included with the original version of Expression. Each and every object in that image is a vector. In fact, Expression 1 doesn't even support bitmap imports.

Doug Frost
    IP