Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Visitor

Default Re: Visitor

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    Exactly.

Anyway, people evolve, software evolves and directions change and it can be very unproductive living in the past.

I came across this link because of an old email. Other emails from that period made me think "How the heck did I do all this stuff?", and a very few "What the heck is this about?"!

I think we've forgotten about Xara as an art/illustration programme and most people have moved on to alternatives.. ..including me.
    it is to be hoped that xara make a success of their pro+/cloud; also, ideally, that the legacy catalog they have left with magix to distribute/support continues to develop as well although I have my reservations about the latter, revenue streams will be the main determining factor I would imagine at the end of the day [as they always were]

and yes everything evolves

I came from a 'fine art' background and so I started with photoshop elements 2, very basic, and fractal 5 [precursor of what is now corel painter] - on a computer with less than 1GHz single core, 128MB slow memory, and only 64 MB dedicated graphic memory no GPU you had to be very patient indeed to use fractal and go through lots of hoops to do anything complicated

for cartooning I would draw the line art sometimes directly in xara, sometimes in photoshop elements and then vectorise it in xara/inkscape

today my desktop has 4.3GHz 8 cores, and 64 GB of memory up by a factor of 1024; given SSD and GTX1070 GPU as well, corel painter 2020 just flies

toon boom harmony will now handle and animate raster, not tied to just vector anymore

living in the past is not possible, you can only superimpose it on the present and that can cause real problems if you start believing in it... ask anyone with half an eye on politics

I was never clever enough to do anything photorealistic in vector, some of it is truely amazing...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Thanks for posting the old link. Many familiar names there. It's a shame things change, but most graphics forums are gone now or barely hanging on with little activity. Most of us here are getting a little long in the tooth. It would be nice to see new members posting their work daily like a few years ago. It was always interesting to see what was new each day. It's like most things in life, you wish you could go back in time. I think the chances of that are slim though, so enjoy the moment and the rest of the journey.

We had some really exceptional artists over the years in the XaraXone Featured Artist Gallery. Here's a link http://archive.xaraxone.com/html/featured_art_.html

Thanks to Gary and Barbara Bouton for creating this archive of the original Xara Xone.

Yes, but I think a lot of members who complain about the route Xara has gone should remember that creations like this are still very much within the capabilities of the current version of Xara software today. Nothing has been removed.

Valery created this stunning image in Xara 6. If folks have the talent they can still create art like this, it doesn't require some ultimate upto date super software.

I only wish I had such talent.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Yes, but I think a lot of members who complain about the route Xara has gone should remember that creations like this are still very much within the capabilities of the current version of Xara software today. Nothing has been removed.

Valery created this stunning image in Xara 6. If folks have the talent they can still create art like this, it doesn't require some ultimate upto date super software.

I only wish I had such talent.
    +1 on the talent

I agree wholehartedly with the first, and it applies to most thiings, not just art... but the practice must have a direction else as Einstein said, to repeat the same thing over again and expect a different result is madness...

second - never agreed with this; had a disagreement with another member a while back - any one can fly a plane, but if they do not have 20:20 vision I want to be a long long way away...
    Last edited by handrawn; 18 October 2020 at 03:58 PM. Reason: my vision is not 20:20, hence typos
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...