Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
Exactly.

Anyway, people evolve, software evolves and directions change and it can be very unproductive living in the past.

I came across this link because of an old email. Other emails from that period made me think "How the heck did I do all this stuff?", and a very few "What the heck is this about?"!

I think we've forgotten about Xara as an art/illustration programme and most people have moved on to alternatives.. ..including me.
it is to be hoped that xara make a success of their pro+/cloud; also, ideally, that the legacy catalog they have left with magix to distribute/support continues to develop as well although I have my reservations about the latter, revenue streams will be the main determining factor I would imagine at the end of the day [as they always were]

and yes everything evolves

I came from a 'fine art' background and so I started with photoshop elements 2, very basic, and fractal 5 [precursor of what is now corel painter] - on a computer with less than 1GHz single core, 128MB slow memory, and only 64 MB dedicated graphic memory no GPU you had to be very patient indeed to use fractal and go through lots of hoops to do anything complicated

for cartooning I would draw the line art sometimes directly in xara, sometimes in photoshop elements and then vectorise it in xara/inkscape

today my desktop has 4.3GHz 8 cores, and 64 GB of memory up by a factor of 1024; given SSD and GTX1070 GPU as well, corel painter 2020 just flies

toon boom harmony will now handle and animate raster, not tied to just vector anymore

living in the past is not possible, you can only superimpose it on the present and that can cause real problems if you start believing in it... ask anyone with half an eye on politics

I was never clever enough to do anything photorealistic in vector, some of it is truely amazing...