Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How do I hold the integrity of CMYK colors in and out of XXP?

I'm fairly new to CMYK and I'm in stuck in quicksand! I set out to take 5 prescribed CMYK colors and develop a full CMYK color palette around them. But I can't even get started because I can't bring colors in and out of XXP intact:

1. I started with two tiffs in Photoshop which contain the 5 given colors and used the PS color picker to derive the CMYK formulas. (The desired formulas are noted on the attached image.)

2. When I imported those tiffs into XXP, the XXP color picker gave me completely different formulas. Nevertheless, I created 5 squares and filled theme with the original formulas which I had first entered into the Color Gallery.

3. I then sought to confirm the formulas with the XXP color picker: the results were completely different formulas -- close in some cases, but not that close.

4. I then exported my XXP file to a new tiff and opened it in PS. The PS color picker then found a new, third set of formula.

I'm clueless what is going on and what to do about it. I've been reading everything I can find about CMYK but nothing is shedding any light.

I'm attaching the xar file -- apparently the board won't accept a tiff but here's a download url if that's of any help: http://www.mediafire.com/?fz3nn2myznj
    Attached Files Attached Files
    http://www.davelash.com
    Strategy | Innovation | Facilitation

Default Re: How do I hold the integrity of CMYK colors in and out of XXP?

Much as I love XX, both old and new versions (since CorelXara 1.1 in 1995), I've repeatedly found so many problems with all-pure-CMYK work in XX that I've totally dropped it. For years, I've only done RGB work in XX. It would be damn nice if the XX Pro version had fixed all CMYK issues -- but a few tests a couple of weeks ago showed me that also XX Pro is still "hightly problematic" for CMYK work. I keep recommending XX to others -- and I keep warning them to avoid CMYK and stay in RGB.
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

This is because Xara Still didnt suport embeded CMYK bitmap images.
    When you try to import CMYK bitmap, Xtreme automaticaly reconvert it in RGB.
    For that your imported bitmaps look around original, but not exactly the same.
    When you try to measure with color picker, actualy you measure their RGB monitor values, not given in CMYK color space.

If you plan to work in CMYK space for export outside from Xara, I reccomend you to get CMYK template from Xara Xone and work only in CMYK space with print preview turned on.
    I checked your file, in your color palette you have CMYK, RGB, HSV colors which may cause problem if you use them in your vector works and after final export to Illustrator, CDR or somewhere else. Illustrator for example didnt suport more than one color system in file and will auto-covert your colors different from CMYK for example and this will change your intention.
    Xara export to CMYK Tif is briliant, sometimes problem with color difference come from that Xara still havent ICC monitor calibration and in some cases (like darker colors) showed with print preview colors look different from their real look.

Quote Originally Posted by Klaus Nordby
    ...and I keep warning them to avoid CMYK and stay in RGB
    I use Xara CMYK from CorelXara 1.5 and never has problems with it. Many times I give here tips and tricks about how to create things and to haven't problems outside from Xara
    Yes the way from pure design to finall pre-pressed and ready for print file going on a litlle bit longer, but for me no other software that can give me this freedom of creation.
    I know perfect and Corel and Illustrator.... but for me they are maybe 4-5 times slow than Xara
    And I have one word for print designers... by software you can recognize them
    Last edited by minimiro; 10 December 2006 at 08:07 PM.
    [A]bort? [R]etry? or [S]elf distruct

minimiro.com

What a good answer.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Quote Originally Posted by minimiro View Post
    I checked your file, in your color palette you have CMYK, RGB, HSV colors which may cause problem if you use them in your vector works and after final export to Illustrator, CDR or somewhere else.
    How can I check this myself? Other than the bitmaps, everything I created in XXP was CMYK -- as far I as knew. I've had the CMYK color model locked on in the Color Editor since I started this very frustrating process.

F9
    choose color
    edit buton

minimiro.com

Did you try going to www.xaraxone.com and checking out Minimero's free CMYK template you can download. I am not sure I fully understand why/how it works, but give it a try. If it works then use it.

Minimero, could you post some artwork you've done using your palette?
    Last edited by jclements; 11 December 2006 at 12:50 AM.

Minimiro and other cmyk veterans,
    I loaded the cmyk template, set the Printer Colors to Simulate Print Colors.

I created a box, filled it with one of the cmyk colors (72-0-72-0). I then used the Color Picker to test and got 80-0-70-0. There is a noticeable difference in the two colors.

Then I exported to a pdf and used the Xara Color Picker which then read the exported color as 80-14-31-0. Then I used the Photoshop Color Picker, and to my great surprise, I'm back to 72-0-72-0. Should I worry? Is the Xara Color Picker garbage or non-cmyk?

Is cmyk really this unstable? A more experienced graphic designer told me to pick cmyk colors from a Pantone book, develop a cmyk palette from those colors, do all my work in cmyk even if they look a bit off on screen -- in the end, the printer should end up with the original colors. Would you concur with this advice?

Yes I have had the same from a printer but it is not as easy as that for the more spot colours the higher the cost. If you art work is a straight background and simple foreground colours maybe but I don't have the discipline to work that way and I cant afford the full range of Pantone colour swatch books, I have only one and its very basic. Many people use PS as the final colour correction myself I got a fair idea the difficult colours to use like red to purple and the changes are not that vast you have to think slightly brighter and of course use the template. If your print run is under 2000 SRA 3 sheets have you priced just using a comericial laser it can work out about the same and you dont have to worry about the plates or anything.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Quote Originally Posted by davelash View Post
    I created a box, filled it with one of the cmyk colors (72-0-72-0). I then used the Color Picker to test and got 80-0-70-0. There is a noticeable difference in the two colors.
    When you try to measure with color picker in Xara, actualy you measure color RGB monitor values, not given in CMYK color space.

Eye dropper didnt get your actual values, he get RGB values rendered on screen

minimiro.com