Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Bill's box model for his knight gave me the direction to do this. Had to do this entirely within Blender, though, since I can't find a way to satisfactorily import Wings' obj file into Blender for rendering.
    One question though... How do you achieve that sharp edge on the base if you applied smoothing? All my edges gets rounded .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	knight.jpg 
Views:	293 
Size:	10.9 KB 
ID:	13276  

Bill's box model for his knight gave me the direction to do this. Had to do this entirely within Blender, though, since I can't find a way to satisfactorily import Wings' obj file into Blender for rendering.
    One question though... How do you achieve that sharp edge on the base if you applied smoothing? All my edges gets rounded .

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> How do you achieve that sharp edge on the base if you applied smoothing? All my edges gets rounded . <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Graphixman, some programs allow you to add weight to an edge or you can add another row of small polys close to the edge.

Attached graphic is an example of how extruding a face will add weight to an edge on a subdivided cylinder.

Hi Graphixman,

Very nice outcome. Did you do the ears, eyes, and nose in Wings3D, or did you use Blender to edit the shape?

I'm glad Mike answered your question. I didn't know why it happens, just that doing small extrusions near the edges helped make them more sharp. Mike not only know how to make great images, he knows why he uses the techniques to get what he visualized and how to explain them to newbies like me
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Your knight is looking good

So THAT'S how it's done. !!!
    Yes, I think there's something like that in Blender. Plus, putting more polys near the edge is something I never thought of. Will give it a try when I have time. THANKS Mike. The picture explained it perfectly.
    Bill, like I said, I never could get anything from Wings imported properly into Blender. So the entire thing was created within Blender. The ears were quads on top, extruded and shaped. The nose were created by contracting a couple of vertices inward, to pull in the surface. The eyes were a couple of subdivided quads, pulled in, subdivided again and the inner portions pulled out again, to create the concave/convex protrusions. Doing this in Blender can be quite involved, since the subdivided faces ends up with extra edges that need to be cleaned up. Hope it gets easier with practice, though.
    Getting involved so much with 3D that I sometimes find myself visualizing the mesh framework for real objects around me. Help, I'm hooked!

Thanks Grafixman. I'll have to try those techniques in C4D.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Grafixman,
    Soquili's method is the right one to use with Blender.
    The image attached shows how it is done with a cube (1). With vertices of the face you want to remain "flat", extrude (key E) with size (key S) right confirming the extrusion. Make it a small one (2). Assuming you use subsurf to round the corners (3), you get a nice flatten face (4)

If you want to ask specific Blender questions, you can also go to Elysiun. In the forums section, select Blender General...

danifou
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img01.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	36.5 KB 
ID:	4725  
    Explore the possibilities ! Blender 3D !

Dan, yes I tried Bill's method too and it worked perfectly. Sure glad there are these wonderful members here in TG.
    I do visit Elysiun and I believe it is THE Blender forum. I don't have the guts to register and post anything there, though. Most of the people who hang around there are codeslingers and seasoned veterans. I'm afraid I'd cause someone reading them to die laughing. Maybe later on, when I'm older and wiser .