Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Printer Paper or Card for Making Own Postcards?

Hi there,

My older sister travels around East Anglia (UK) a fair bit and sends me postcards of where she has been. I have been trying to get her interested in taking digital photos of her own to send me. But the interaction with camera, computer and e-mail (not surprisingly) puts her off.

It would be good if she could print out photos directly onto blank postcard-sized stock that has the address grid pre-printed, for use maybe on one of those small, portable photo printers. That way the experience is as much the same for her as possible.

I have Googled the Interweb but with no success, so I thought I would ask the collective knowledge bank at TG. Does anyone know of such a product?

My sister is a real technophobe - to do mainly with her confidence - so the least amounts of technology and steps (including use of third-party print shops) are essential. And, as always, cost is an issue.

Could be too tall a task. But, hey, you gotta start somewhere.

Anybody out there that does this kind of thing, please?

Many thanks,
    Frank

Default Re: Printer Paper or Card for Making Own Postcards?

Avery.com
    (the king of computer software and templates for labels, postcards, mailers, etc.
    http://avery.com/
    Can use Microsoft Office or use their own software.

Thanks very much for the link.

I see that Avery do some 6"x4" cards. I could print a pack of those with the address layout using Xara. My sister could then feed individual cards through one of those small hp photo printers - I saw one in Boots for about £45 - in order to print out the photo she wants to send, without having to use a pc at all.

Great stuff.

Thanks again,
    Frank

Most of your printer manufacturers do this type of machine whither its a direct link, placing your memory card in a slot or even now WIFI or Bluetooth and then on the printer you can enhance and crop and then print. I would go for the heavier paper if she is gooing to send it throught the post around 250 gms.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Thanks Albacore,

The simpler the better, really. Memory card into printer would cut out the camera's user-interface - by not connecting it - and would be a more direct method. All I've got to do is find a camera which is as simple as possible to use yet has memory card expansion (and is not too expensive).

Yes, you've read my thoughts on the paper's/card's weight. I want it to be as robust as a postcard, so the normal "photo"-type paper wouldn't do. Avery do a stack of different postcard products - they don't state the weight, but they do categorise them as "card" so that should fit the bill.

Thanks again,
    Frank