Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hi..
    Quite new to doing 3D stuff..wondering if its possible to get texture mapped to 3D/2D objects(eg: chairs/sofas) in photoshop?
    IP

Hi..
    Quite new to doing 3D stuff..wondering if its possible to get texture mapped to 3D/2D objects(eg: chairs/sofas) in photoshop?
    IP

For texture 'mapping' 2D objects and such, yes, that should not be much of a problem there. Just lay the texture on a layer above your object and choose an appropriate Blend Mode for it.

3D on the other hand presents other problems - mainly to do with getting the textures to 'lay' on the 3D objects with the right 'perspectives'.

With a little bit of extra fuss, you can try using the "Transform" tools/commands to make the textures conform to their proper perspectives - ala: aligning them correctly to fit the angle in which they're applied to the 3D objects.

Other than that though, Photoshop will never 'texture map' as well as any 'real' 3D program will.

Mark...
    IP

it is most certainly possible to map for 3d in photoshop. I use PS exclusively for Texture mapping. You need to start out with a texture template. which you can get by unwrapping in 3dstudio max or use .obj format and UVMapper, which is a much better option. Go to renderosity.com, register, you'll love it there. Then go to Poser Freestuff, then hit utilities, look for UVMapper, it's FREE, and a wonderful program. Good luck my man,
    Voodoo
    ps. if someone doesn't know the answer to a question, WHY POST?
    IP

Voodoo,

I think what Maple79 was asking is:

1st) Can 3D objects be correctly textured mapped 'strictly' within Photoshop?
    So that would not include ALSO using programs such a "Deep Paint 3D", etc, to aid in this matter.

My answer was "yes, perhaps with a bit of work it can be done". I did not say "No, it's impossible. Give up now while you still can!".
    Please don't twist someones reply around, it will only serve to confuse the person asking the question. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

2nd) The method you described Voodoo sounds more like "texture creation" - ala sizing, fitting to a 'mold' or 'template', etc. Yes? No?
    And i DO understand your idea of 'mapping', but i'm not sure that that is what Maple79 was referring to. Perhaps he/she could clarify?

If you have indeed 'applied' a texture to a 3D object/scene using only Photoshop (within Photoshop), can i please see your results? That does not mean exporting your created or layed out texture to a program like 3DS and 'applying' it to a 3D object in there. That means, 'mapping' (or 'wrapping') the texture to a 3D object strictly within Photoshop.
    I'm curious to see your results. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

PS: Why post?... even if your reply isn't a sure-fire solution to someones question?

Because that's what a Forum is all about Voodoo - communicating through ideas.
    As you'll notice, Maple79s question sat here a whole week, unreplied to, before i visited the forum and saw it. So if for no other reason, my reply was to let that person know that their post was not being ignored. And at the same time, try to share some of my thoughts & ideas on the problem given in their post. I'm sure you'll agree that there's no harm in doing that, right? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Mark...
    IP