Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default The illusion of shape changing

I read that you cannot tween between two different shapes with Flash, and didn't think about it until I accidentally noticed an "apparent" shape change in something I was working on.

When I had an elliptical illumination moving across the page, it appeared to narrow to a line, then widen back to an ellipse.

What had happened was that I had (for some reason) inverted the image from one side to the other. As it moved, it inverted, appearing to have changed shapes!

This made me think. I tried it without inversion, then mirrored it. It appeared to shrink from an ellipse to a circle then back to an ellipse as it crossed the page.

My sample here shows both effects, beginning with simple page crossing, then the narrowning/widening and finally changing from a large ellipse to a small ball and back. Hope some of you will find this little trick entertaining or even useful!

Wish I could claim brilliance for this, but it was pure accident.
    ---
    Will
    Attached Files Attached Files
    IP

Default Re: The illusion of shape changing

Quote Originally Posted by WolfMoonHP View Post
    I read that you cannot tween between two different shapes with Flash, and didn't think about it until I accidentally noticed an "apparent" shape change in something I was working on.

When I had an elliptical illumination moving across the page, it appeared to narrow to a line, then widen back to an ellipse.

What had happened was that I had (for some reason) inverted the image from one side to the other. As it moved, it inverted, appearing to have changed shapes!

This made me think. I tried it without inversion, then mirrored it. It appeared to shrink from an ellipse to a circle then back to an ellipse as it crossed the page.

My sample here shows both effects, beginning with simple page crossing, then the narrowning/widening and finally changing from a large ellipse to a small ball and back. Hope some of you will find this little trick entertaining or even useful!

Wish I could claim brilliance for this, but it was pure accident.
    ---
    Will

It works the same as in an ordinary gif.
    Well spotted - every little extra helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Intbel" ... "Can't" is not an option.

Compliance is futile. Resistance is futile. Just do your own thing an' ignore 'em.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by WolfMoonHP View Post
    I read that you cannot tween between two different shapes with Flash
    This is only a limitation of Xara Xtreme PRO's flash animation functions, not a limitation of Flash. You're able to create Form tweens between vector shapes within Adobe Flash.

Regards,
    Remi
    IP

Remi, that is a very cool effect. Maybe after I fully master the flash capabilities of Xtreme Pro (shouldn't take much more than a couple of years), I'll decide to try Adobe's version...LOL
    ---
    Will
    IP

here is somthing I was playing with, not very proud of it.

Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 30 November 2006 at 01:49 PM.
    IP

Well you should be proud of it Norman. It's a bowling ball a rugby ball a bomb a fish and all at 40Kb! I like your Christmas avatar.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host
    IP

I thought it was the result of putting your fish in a blender.
    -=Bob=-
    IP