Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Xaralx (1764) and Debian (testing)

Hi,

I have just joined this wonderful group. I have been following Xaralx and the wonderful forum for getting some tips and/or doubts clarified.

Of late, I upgraded my debian system from sarge to testing. I noticed that, xaralx no longer runs. It segfaults. Removed ~/..XARA-XTREME-WX-xaralx-mas and ~/.XaraLXFilters/. Still the same problem. Ran starce on xaralx and here are the last lines of the ouput:

fstat64(6, {st_mode=S_IFREG|0644, st_size=909044, ...}) = 0
    mmap2(NULL, 935588, PROT_READ|PROT_EXEC, MAP_PRIVATE|MAP_DENYWRITE, 6, 0) = 0xb6fea000
    mmap2(0xb70c4000, 20480, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE, MAP_PRIVATE|MAP_FIXED|MAP_DENYWRITE, 6, 0xd9) = 0xb70c4000
    mmap2(0xb70c9000, 22180, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE, MAP_PRIVATE|MAP_FIXED|MAP_ANONYMOUS, -1, 0) = 0xb70c9000
    close(6) = 0
    mprotect(0xb70c4000, 12288, PROT_READ) = 0
    gettimeofday({1164678795, 243914}, NULL) = 0
    --- SIGSEGV (Segmentation fault) @ 0 (0) ---
    rt_sigaction(SIGFPE, {SIG_DFL}, NULL, 8) = 0
    rt_sigaction(SIGILL, {SIG_DFL}, NULL, 8) = 0
    rt_sigaction(SIGBUS, {SIG_DFL}, NULL, 8) = 0
    rt_sigaction(SIGSEGV, {SIG_DFL}, NULL, 8) = 0
    rt_sigaction(SIGFPE, {0xb781e790, [], 0}, {SIG_DFL}, 8) = 0
    rt_sigaction(SIGILL, {0xb781e790, [], 0}, {SIG_DFL}, 8) = 0
    rt_sigaction(SIGBUS, {0xb781e790, [], 0}, {SIG_DFL}, 8) = 0
    rt_sigaction(SIGSEGV, {0xb781e790, [], 0}, {SIG_DFL}, 8) = 0
    --- SIGSEGV (Segmentation fault) @ 0 (0) ---
    +++ killed by SIGSEGV +++
    Process 3907 detached

Can someone point to me a solution for this problem?

Regards,
    IP

Default Re: Xaralx (1764) and Debian (testing)

Hello Mas,

I was hoping one of the Linux users that understand what you said would post a reply.

The developers are currently working on a new release of the Windows version and aren't available currently.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

Which package are you using?

I'm using the tarball on an up to date Etch with no problems. If you are using the autopackage version you might want to try the tarball. Personally I've never quite trusted autopackage, probably because I've never taken the time to figure out how it works.
    Jed
    IP

I have never used the autopackage. Always, the tarball. Yesterday night even tried the recommended version (1692). Even that segfaults
    IP

Hmm. I see you posted the same question to debian-user and are able to use the deb so perhaps something specific to your system was broken during the upgrade. You could try deleting ~/.xaralx which contains the preferences file.

When is LX crashing and does it report any error messages on the console? Does it offer to generate an error report?
    Jed
    IP

Is the version that you're running compiled with debug info? Possibly running it in gdb might be able to help pinpoint where the segfault is occuring.

From the sounds of things, perhaps a library that xaralx is dynamically linking to was upgraded as part of your system and isn't backward compatible or something.

I'll second the recommendation to remove the preferences and try running it again so that it's "fresh".
    This signature would be seven words long if it was six words shorter.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by mas View Post
    I have never used the autopackage. Always, the tarball. Yesterday night even tried the recommended version (1692). Even that segfaults

This is weird. I installed both versions in Debian testing, Knoppix 5.x Live DVD, and Studio to Go! (Debian based ) . All distros had xtremelx working fine just by following standard tarball install proceedures.

Just so you know...sorry I don't have a solution for you.
    IP

Give the autopackage installation a try. It works fine.

Remi
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Odat View Post
    From the sounds of things, perhaps a library that xaralx is dynamically linking to was upgraded as part of your system and isn't backward compatible or something.
    I sensed as much and did an ldd on xaralx binary. All libraries were found. But, regarding the backwards compatibility issue, I could not find anything missing.

I'll second the recommendation to remove the preferences and try running it again so that it's "fresh".
    Same result. I had tried it and had forgot to mention it on my first mail :-(
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    This is weird. I installed both versions in Debian testing, Knoppix 5.x Live DVD, and Studio to Go! (Debian based ) . All distros had xtremelx working fine just by following standard tarball install proceedures.

Just so you know...sorry I don't have a solution for you.
    Well, may be not exactly. Can you mail me offlist the output of

COLS=132 dpkg -l

so that I can verify it against the installed versions on my system?
    IP