Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Sunset apple.
    This is a nonsense image. It was a composite of the apple and sunset photo's. They've been traced, then a bevel applied. Finally the apple was given a glow shadow and a clip view
    Egg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sunset_apple.jpg 
Views:	618 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	14826  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

This one was made using the same process, but the tracing was set to an accuracy of 2. There was over 8000 objects so it did take a little time to process, export the image and save.
    The painting is of an original done by Arthur Hudson, a great marine artist. I'll see if I can get his permission to post the original

Name:	arthur2.jpg 
Views:	608 
Size:	56.0 KB 
ID:	10932  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Great technique Egg! I especially like the boat image.

If I could offer a humble suggestion for your consideration: Maybe applying a fractal plasma based textural overlay (like a bump map) to the beveled image could make it look even more like you are a master of the palette knife technique. A wee bit of linen texture might add to the already impressive technique. Currently the flat areas of colour are just a little too flat. I just looked again at your famous post in the main forum: "transparent bitmap overlay". I wonder if some application of that kind of technique, combined with the one here, could give the flat areas a realistic 3d texture. I figure you're the guy who ought to know.

You are an inspiration as well as an egg!

Regards, Ross
    <a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

[This message was edited by Ross Macintosh on January 22, 2001 at 05:39 PM.]

Egg - Why didn't you use a MacIntosh apple?

Regards, Ross Macintosh

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

To explore the idea (hope you don't mind Mr.Egg)I tried adding some texture to your image.

The cloth texture comes from the Xara online fills - it is the denim one.

Regards, Ross

P.S - I think I like your original better.

Name:	painting.jpg 
Views:	470 
Size:	42.0 KB 
ID:	4378  

Egg you always post great images. Applying a bevel to a traced bitmat never would have occured to me. Thanks for sharing.

Soquili [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Your bitmap tracing idea got me to thinking. Thought I'd try to apply the same effect to a photo I took recently of the Battleship Texas moored at the port here in Houston.

Pretty nifty trick, thanks for pointing it out to the rest of us.

joroho

Name:	battleship_contour.jpg 
Views:	459 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	17466  
    Wise men still seek Him.

joroho,
    Great image. This is a great effect that I've never seen in other image manipulation programs.
    I've tried Ross suggestion of applying a texture and it works excellently. I found that is was best to apply the texture first, then create a bitmap copy and then trace this.
    Some other points to bear in mind. Do a 2 pass trace. Enlarge the trace once you've imported it. Give it a 1 pixel bevel. (I actually download your image and did all the above, but unfortunately it crashed Xara. I've just checked and I've only got 87 Mb left free on my C drive and this obviously is'nt enough for additional ram.
    Also most the images I've been using have been already compressed .jpg's.
    I did this one earlier which was a bitmap.
    Egg

Name:	girl.jpg 
Views:	414 
Size:	46.1 KB 
ID:	10930  
    Egg

Eric

This looks like the heavy application of oil paint. What's that called, impasto, anti pasti, something like that.

Cool technique.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Be It Every So Humble...