Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Hybrid View

Default Re: Xara Xtreme Pro announced

As a professional myself I think there are no 'must have' software packages.

I'm serious, there are plenty of free or very reasonably priced programs and services available that will do the job, perhaps not as efficiently or intuitively as some more expensive commercial products, but they are there.

Buying specific software for 'professional' use is really a matter of convenience.

Photoshop isn't the industry standard because it is the best, it has had the best marketing and early on included features that allowed users to exchange ideas and techniques.

This built a massive resource for all potential users - just try Googling Photoshop tutorials, Actions, brushes, styles, etc.

What tends to happen is that when users invest time and money into a piece of software they search out others who do the same and become part of a 'community', the price of which is often having the latest version of that software. I see it all over the net, there are little tribes of software users all over the place each fiercely loyal and commited to their choice.

I'm on a constant search for the best software for my particular needs, but I know I'm not going to find one perfect program, at least until some company goes with the idea of a 'modular' program (as mentioned by another poster).

So that each user buys and 'plugs in' the various componants they need and want (before any puts me straight - I don't want an explaination of why that 'can't be done').

Until then, I don't do brand loyalty, if they want my hard earned cash then they will have to earn it too.

Keep an open mind, it isn't the software that is the most important ingredient in your work (amateur or professional) it is your attitude.

I’m enthusiastically downloading Xara Pro now and am looking forward to some of the new features. However, I didn’t notice a spell checker on your list. I use lots of text in Xara and think it would be a great idea. Did I miss it, or did you?

Thanks

I've downloaded Xara Pro and am using it. I've had one problem and one question. Frist the question. There's no release date yet but my download has a 30 limit. Will I have a problem at the end of the 30 days if the program isn't released yet?

Now the problem: The second time I opened Xara Pro (The first time was to reset some of the defaults) I resized the pasteboard, imported a jpeg, rotated it and then opened Xara Picture editor. When I did this I got the following error message:
    Access violation exception at offset 0x01261134

This error message repeated several times as I tried the same procedure however the number at the end of the error message changed.

Here are a couple of the numbers that came up: 0x03071134; 0x042F1134 (this one came up three times). I imported a couple of other jpegs without a problem. The problem could have been with the jpeg, but I’ve used it with Xara Xtreme a few months ago without any problem. The other jpeg’s worked fine.

Thanks,

Louis F. Dow

Can you upload the jpeg please? Its likely that the problems specific to the image you were using.

Quote Originally Posted by charliescoffee View Post
    I've downloaded Xara Pro and am using it. I've had one problem and one question. Frist the question. There's no release date yet but my download has a 30 limit. Will I have a problem at the end of the 30 days if the program isn't released yet?

Now the problem: The second time I opened Xara Pro (The first time was to reset some of the defaults) I resized the pasteboard, imported a jpeg, rotated it and then opened Xara Picture editor. When I did this I got the following error message:
    Access violation exception at offset 0x01261134

This error message repeated several times as I tried the same procedure however the number at the end of the error message changed.

Here are a couple of the numbers that came up: 0x03071134; 0x042F1134 (this one came up three times). I imported a couple of other jpegs without a problem. The problem could have been with the jpeg, but I’ve used it with Xara Xtreme a few months ago without any problem. The other jpeg’s worked fine.

Thanks,

Louis F. Dow

Just discovered the new news, and am intrigued!

I did a quick scan of the messages here but haven't found reference to the new pro version being compatible with the upcoming Windows Vista or dual processor computers.

My current laptop runs XP home and has an Intel Core Duo chip. I doubt the new software will make use of these today... but will it make use of it with a new operating system when released?

...Doug
    ...Doug

I see their special intro offer is good for just two weeks (Dec 12).

Oh, I wish they would extend it through January...this is Christmas time and I am very budgeted and cannot spend on myself at this time!!!

Do you think they would have mercy and extend this offer a month out?

I've gotta have it!

Meia