Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: long cold days of winter

Interesting how people view the verticals in a different light. My basic perception of them was that they immediately made my think of old films - where you get vertical lines (scratches) dancing around.

Im not sure what to make of the vertical objects. But the overall picture is very nice. Good work.
    Bruce
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Happiness is free for the taking, Please take some for yourself
    Artist For Hire

Very cold looking image Tim. I shiver everytime I look at it. I like it very much. It has a Japanese 'feel' to it. Maybe somewhere around Sapporo in the winter?
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Tim,
    I found this captivating as well. I assumed, probably wrong though, that the poles were telephone poles with the tops not being visible. Sometimes photos are taken where the top or tops of something is cut off.
    Anyway, very satisfying to gaze at.
    ron

First of all thanks for all the kind remarks and suggestions.
    This image isn't of a specific place, I just made it up. I wanted to create an image with the feeling of "cold, isolation and quiet".

Now for my story...............
    I've actually worked on this image on and off for the last 6 months!! Yeah I know, I'm really really slow. I first had bolders in the foreground and tried, I think 6 different veriations but didn't like any of them. Then I added branches coming down from the top of the image and I hated that. Then I tried something like my "simple scenic" that I posted a couple months ago and it really sucked. Then I made 3 tree's in the position that they are in now and slowly took off more and more branches until I had an idea.............What if I take all of the branches off........ So that's how the "goal poles" became there and in my eyes it seemed to do the trick. Everything else seemed to get in the way with the feelings that I was trying to convey. So there you have it, the behind the image story. I've put this image to bed, but will probably relook at in at another time and work on the "trees". It's always so good to get other peoples opinions especially at Talkgraphics. thanks all. tim

It's a great picture, Tim, and it is absolutely as close as I ever intend to get to cold weather.
    ---
    Will

My take initially on the forgroud objects were that they were guy ropes from a arctic whaler, as if you were on the deck of the boat. But that might have a lot to do with Procol Harem's 'Salty Dog' playing in my headphones when I first saw it....

Nice job.

J