Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Login help!

Default Login help!

Hi

I'm new to this site (great site too) and very new to Flash not to mention design .

Could do with a little help with a login, i'm building a site for a freind (full Flash) to promote a singer, i've built a login area where her songs can be listened too no problem there (used a tutourail for that) what i would like to do is make the password input ********** instead of the word showing i know this can be done using the componants but ive used dynamic text fields as i couldnt make the damn thing work with the componants so i was wondering is there a way of doing it with the dynamic text fields?

also as i'm just learning is there a way to make it login once the user has hit "enter" on their keyboard?

Your help or advise would be most welcome. the test site is at http://www.cpmwebdesign.co.uk/testneume1.html

Regards

Manny2k
    Last edited by manny2k; 15 November 2006 at 07:01 PM. Reason: missed link off
    IP

Default Re: Login help!

Hello Manny, welcome in.

For someone who has no idea about design (as you said it) you did a pretty hell of a job (if that is your design).

Just one thing: As you've made your site only from flash, if I want to return to the main screen I cannot, since pressing the back button will return me to my previously visited site. That is something you should consider.

About login: If you only want to create a login and password like:

If the password is "password" and the username is "Availor" then you can enter - then there are plenty of tutorials on that matter.
    Try THIS and THIS
    You will find many different tutorials. Know that if you want to create a database so that each visitor will be able to register and have their own login then you will need to know MySQL and such, that is something I don't know.
    What I know is that it requires a far deeper knowledge in a database scripting language.

Regards,

Availor.
    IP

Thanks Availor

Yep that is my design although i did have a few brain storming sessions with the friend i'm building for, thanks for the tip about getting back to the previous site visted, i'll get that worked out before it goes live (hopfully monday)

I have multi (20) passwords set up for the members area using PHP as they are only to be given out to record companys at first, but once it gets going i'll look into the database type.

I'll check those links out you posted for me, i'm sure i'll work something out, think i'll have to stick my head in one of these many bocks that seem to be taking over my desk.

Once again

Thanks

Manny
    IP

If you have "only" 20 passwords then I think you can manage it:

If password = this or that or that and the username is that or that then the user will be allowed to enter.

Good luck with your design
    IP

Manny,

Create an INPUT text field, give it a linetype of PASSWORD. This will then only show ****** as the text is entered.

On a button below place the following code:

Code:
    on (release, keyPress "<Enter>") {
    	if (pass1==user1 or pass1==user2 or pass1==user3 or pass1==user4 or pass1==user5) {
    		gotoAndStop("private area");
    		pass1='';
    		wrong='';
    		} else {
    	wrong='Incorrect. Please try again'
    	pass1='';
    	gotoAndPlay("loop");
    }
    }
    The first line actions the script on either the RELEASE or ENTER key action.

Could I ask why you need different passwords for different users? Why can't you just give the one password to all users?

If you do want to use different passwords the easiest way is to set these up in a text file and have Flash read the variables from that text file on start up. The text file would look something like:

user1=password1&user2=password2&user3=password3&EO F=EOF

Using this method you don't need to alter the FLA file again, only the text file.

Regarding the Browser back button. This is one of Flashes big drawbacks. There are ways around it but in my opinion not worth all the hassle. The other problem with an all Flash site is search engines can't search them!
    The method I use to overcome both of these drawbacks is to create an idex.html page in HTML with text optomised for search engines. This page has a button that leads to the all flash site.

Now if the visitor presses the Back button they just return to your index.html page & can easily press the enter button to return to the all flash site.

If you need any further help, get back to us.

See the attached FLA file.

A very attractive site (and young lady) by the way.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	!1.gif 
Views:	211 
Size:	2.2 KB 
ID:	32148  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 16 November 2006 at 08:02 AM.
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host
    IP

Egg, very nice and clear explanation, as usual
    IP

Thanks Egg Bramhill & Availor

for some reason i did'nt see that linestyle option, like i said i have it all working with different passwords, as for you question about "why cant you give one passwords to all users" well the reason is this site is only to promote a new artist to record companys and the guy i'm building it for wants to know what companys have logged and when not to mention how many times.

This is why i've put the passwords as an array using php also adding some more code to email the owner the passwords and usernames that have looged in, not very hot on php and have mixed and match a few tutorails up to enable this, not sure if it best practise in the coding but it seems to work (like i said i'm a newbie to all this stuff, but i'm really enjoying it) one down side though is he will get emails of the errors in the input boxes should they input the wrong p/word but they wont progress to the next frame.

A long winded process as i dont know enough code to do it any other way.

Once again thanks for your help,great site for tips, hopefully i'll be able to help others out one day once i get to know a bit more.

Kind regards

Manny2k
    IP