Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

creating a path from a bitmap

I have a bitmap image of a pebble on a blue background.

Using the shape tool, I have moved the 4 corner nodes and added some around the pebble to get rid of the background colour.

So, now I have a pebble shaped bitmap. I want to create a vector shape exactly the same as the shape of the pebble. How do I do it???

Thanks,
    -----------
    Andy
    IP

Default Re: creating a path from a bitmap

Quote Originally Posted by bubbidge View Post
    I have a bitmap image of a pebble on a blue background.
    Using the shape tool, I have moved the 4 corner nodes and added some around the pebble to get rid of the background colour.
    So, now I have a pebble shaped bitmap. I want to create a vector shape exactly the same as the shape of the pebble. How do I do it???
    Thanks,
    I hardly ever have used Corel Draw, so I had a look-see and I find you can do this using the pen tool - just go around your pebble shape with the pen tool then use the shape tool to get an accurate shape.

(That is in v.12 ... I don't know if it is the same in all versions)
    "Intbel" ... "Can't" is not an option.

Compliance is futile. Resistance is futile. Just do your own thing an' ignore 'em.
    IP

Hi bubbige,
    Well it seems that in you have drawn around the 'Pebble' and have a pebble shape in Draw you have accomplished your objective. I may have misunderstood tho'.
    If you have the shape of the pebble drawn in draw you have a vector shape of pebble (can't remember if draw can slice bitmaps) select the drawn shape then shift select Bitmap image of pebble and trim, or select drawn shape of pebble and 'powerclip' bitmap into drawn shape.
    Jim
    IP

Smile Re: creating a path from a bitmap

Gents,

I havent actually drawn the shape, that is what I need to achieve. I have just dragged the nodes of the bitmap to the shape that I want but it is not actually a vector object, its more like a shaped bitmap at the moment.

Sorry guys, im finding it difficult to explain it! lol
    -----------
    Andy
    IP

Ok, sorry about that well place the bitmap on one layer and draw around the pebble in another layer the shape of pebble, then powerclip bitmap into the shape you drew, that should work but I'm not sure.
    Or Another method is bring butmap ito PhotoPaint mask the pebble> create object from mask (ctrl+up arrow) then copy and paste into DRaw, or just save the masked image as png.
    Jim
    IP

It's an interesting challenge. I tried it on an imported bitmap picture, clicked the node editing tool and it is possible to add and move the nodes around the bitmap. And it stayed a bitmap, so there was no way to use booleans on it.
    One workaround I discovered is to export your node manipulated bitmap as an svg file. Be sure you have the selected object only checkbox checked. Then click the ok buttons on the dialogues that pops up. Then import the svg file into your document again. It came back as a grouped object (? not sure, too lazy to check right now), which I ungrouped and it became a powerclipped object. Now you can separate the picture from the shape. One would have thought it would be easier if node manipulated bitmaps automatically does that, wouldn't it? Ah well, the logic of the developers are beyond us mere mortals...
    To save yourself the trouble next time, powerclip your bitmaps to a rectangle or square, then edit the shape with the node editor. . Then you wouldn't have to jump through hoops...
    IP

Best way to set up a path around a bitmap is to do it in PhotoPaint and then import the path. If you save the path, then you can import the path with the .eps file and you can repell text beautifully. Or you can just bring in the path, use C, then E, so it lines up and do it that way. It depends upon how you like to work. Or just draw a quickie path with the pen tool or using X3 it has an automated one which has been added to weld, trim, intersect, etc. for doing just that. In which case it is looking for vectors, just do a simple vector trace then use the just mentioned function. Very easy.
    Every day's a new day, "draw" on what you've learned.

Sally M. Bode
    IP

Thumbs up Re: creating a path from a bitmap

Thanks all very much.

I will try all methods.

Thanks again,
    -----------
    Andy
    IP

If your using X3, click on your image go to Effect scroll to Boundary
    Thats it done simple.
    If not in X3 draw a box around your bitmap pick both up
    click Arrange-Shaping-Front Minus Back Then un-combine the 2 object, Voila

I'm having trouble understanding why all the above replies have to be so involved
    Unless i've missunderstood the original question

Thanks (or Sorry) Pep
    Last edited by Pep; 07 December 2006 at 08:21 PM.
    IP

Smile Re: creating a path from a bitmap

Quote Originally Posted by Pep View Post
    If your using X3, click on your image go to Effect scroll to Boundary
    Thats it done simple.
    If not in X3 draw a box around your bitmap pick both up
    click Arrange-Shaping-Front Minus Back Then un-combine the 2 object, Voila

I'm having trouble understanding why all the above replies have to be so involved
    Unless i've missunderstood the original question

Thanks (or Sorry) Pep
    Pep, I am using V12 and the "Front minus back" doesnt seem to work for bitmaps, only vector objects.
    -----------
    Andy
    IP