Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Viewer

Default Viewer

Could anyone recommend a free .swf viewer please.
    I can view flash on websites but not otherwise?!

I need a tool to view the individual .swf files in my folders before adding them to my local website directory, or uploading them.
    Last edited by Telovne; 05 November 2006 at 02:40 PM.
    IP

Default Re: Viewer

HERE's something you can like.

Regards,

Availor.
    IP

Could anyone recommend a free .swf viewer please.
    I can view flash on websites but not otherwise?!
    Telovne,

Browse to the swf file you want to open, and follow the screen grab below. Tick the "Always use the selected program ..." box

(However I'm currently running Flash Player 9 but like all things Adobe can I find the ****** file on my hard drive !!!)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	!1.gif 
Views:	3475 
Size:	27.1 KB 
ID:	31676  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host
    IP

Egg that applies only if you have flash player installed (standalone) which is usualy only if you have the flash program. Users who dont have flash can't open swf files offline.
    IP

Availor,

I've heard Remi say that as well but I can't believe that's correct.

Egg
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host
    IP

I don't have Flash installed and I open .swf files with Internet Explorer and the Flasher Player plug-in. I had to choose Internet Explorer from the list of programs in place of the Flash Player.
    Last edited by Soquili; 06 November 2006 at 03:43 PM.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Availor,

I've heard Remi say that as well but I can't believe that's correct.

Egg
    It is true. I've uninstalled Flash and I couldn't open swf files.
    IP

Thanks everyone for the help

I installed Flash Player 9 last night but as Egg discovered, it doesn't appear in the 'open with' options in explorer. I was thinking it was strange, it didn't even appear in my Adobe folder or anywhere to be seen. I knew I'd installed it ok as I got the installation flash. I was almost relieved to read Egg was having the same problem locating Flash Player 9, as I knew there was a chance I might still be on the right track.

I tried Soquili's advice to open it with Internet Explorer (with Flash Player 9 installed) and it worked. It opens a full screen IE window with the selected .swf running.

Really odd though that Flash Player 9 isn't offered as an option to directly open the file.

I downloaded the other utility Availor, but I'm not too sure how to use it yet. It doesn't seem to have an installer?! I'm keeping it in my downloads folder until i'm more conversant with flash. It'll probably be exactly what I need for file in the future, thanks. Actually, it's probably exactly what I need now but I'm too thick to work out how it works
    Last edited by Telovne; 06 November 2006 at 06:25 PM.
    IP

Telovne, as it was said, when you install a flash player it is only being installed inside your browser, so you can only view the swf files inside your browser and not as a stand alone application.

In order to view the swf files without the browser you need a stand alone flash player, which is either found once you have macromedia flash or if you download it from somewhere else.

You can also use this trick: Download a flash trial, keep the flash player found in the folder there. You can then just delete the software (don't uninstall). It will keep the offline flash player. But I think it will be a lot easier to just download a stand alone flash player.

Regards,

Availor.
    IP

Yes, I thought that by installing Flash Player 9, that I was installing a stand alone player. I just can't find any way to actually run it as a stand alone application.

I thought it would work much like Adobe Reader does .pdf files, so when I selected a .swf file, Flash Player 9 would just automatically open it.

That I can now play a .swf offline through IE is fine for me. I hadn't tried this before installing Flash Player 9, so I don't know if installing it made any difference?! It works though, so I'm sorted and happy!

Cheers
    IP