Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

View Poll Results: Poll question

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'd be grateful for any tips.

0 0%

For the past couple of years I've been moving files between Photoshop 4 and Painter 5. I have often scanned black line work in Photoshop anbd then deleted everything except the black so that just the lines are left on a layer. When I've brought it into Painter I've used the pastel tools etc. to render the color (on another layer) underneath the line work.
    Now, with my new Photoshop 6 I can't seem to bring layered illustrations into Painter. When I open them in Painter I get this scrambled, multi-colored checkerboard.
    Is Photoshop 6 incompatible with Painter 5?
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img] alanking@magma.ca
    IP

For the past couple of years I've been moving files between Photoshop 4 and Painter 5. I have often scanned black line work in Photoshop anbd then deleted everything except the black so that just the lines are left on a layer. When I've brought it into Painter I've used the pastel tools etc. to render the color (on another layer) underneath the line work.
    Now, with my new Photoshop 6 I can't seem to bring layered illustrations into Painter. When I open them in Painter I get this scrambled, multi-colored checkerboard.
    Is Photoshop 6 incompatible with Painter 5?
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img] alanking@magma.ca
    IP

Hi,

It wouldn't be surprising if the two programs to have some disconnects since Photoshop 6 is brand new and Painter 5 is two versions behind.. programed years ago.

Try bringing in the Layers as separate images and reconstructing them in Painter 5. Maybe that'll work, depending on what other image information there is that might be lost.

Or.. do the work in Painter 5 from the get-go. You can Auto-Select using Current Color (black), Invert the Selection and Ctrl/Command-X to delete, leaving only your black lines. If it's pencil sketches, try using Brightness/Contrast to darken up the lines, or use Auto-Select Image Luminance and fill the selection with black.

Or variations using the Auto-Select, Magic Wand, and Lasso tools to fine-tune the job.

Probably someone else has a better way.. but I hope this helps a little. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Jinny Brown
    http://www.pixelalley.com
    Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
    IP

"Now, with my new Photoshop 6 I can't seem to bring layered illustrations into
    Painter. When I open them in Painter I get this scrambled, multi-colored
    checkerboard.
    Is Photoshop 6 incompatible with Painter 5?"

Yes, it's incompatible. Others have reported the same thing. Are you unable to export from Photoshop in v4 or 5 format and get that into Painter 6?

Doug Frost
    IP

Well Adobe has used some of the file spec's of its psd file format to add many of the new effects in version 6. Macromedia software also has problems using 6 psd files.
    What happend is Adoble with ver.6 started using parts of the psd spec to doing things like layer styles and vector text. Other software vendorsdid not use this part of the psd spec for their software since Adobe had not used it in the past.
    So not we have a situation where other manufactors software will choke on ver6 photoshop psd files.
    Perhaps Corel will be able to fix this with its version 6.1 final update. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    IP

use tiff?
    and as it only serves as a faint background, the jpg will also do, or am I getting something wrong?

The same problem exists with XaraX and psd from ps6.
    IP

Something I didn't realize until I read this a second time... If you're using Painter 5.0 you'll also have problems with Photoshop 5.x files. This was one of the fixes included in the Painter 5.5 upgrade.

Also: Did you try exporting your Photoshop file in the v4 format to see if you could get it into Painter?

Doug Frost
    IP