Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: XAML export?

Default Re: XAML export?

What a bloat tread.

Xara Xtreme already support third-party export-import filters.
    (See www.xaraxtreme.org for details).

If you want any XAML, then write you own filter and be happy.
    Regards, Dmitry.
    Useful utils for Xara: http://xaraxtv.at.tut.by

Quote Originally Posted by czhower View Post
    "I'll have to leave it eventually if it does not support XAML"

Note the future tense. I'm not ready to dump Xara now or next week. But I am stating that XAML will become important and that in the future, maybe 6 months from now XAML will become critical for me and many others.

If we at least know that Xara is looking at it and plans to have such an export (and import too. ) and if its on a reasonable time frame that would put my mind at ease.
    If you haven't worked out by now that you are so far removed from Xara's targeted demographic...
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

It doesn't currently, but it will. Customers will demand XAML formats as it becomes common which it will over the next year.
    I would hope that my customers would demand a website that was effective, visually attractive, easy to navigate and one which their customers could find the content they needed quickly and easily.

Your comment sounds more like something I would expect to read in a marketing or advertising campaign.

Am I a ludite? Most likely.

Gary

Perhaps you are, Gary! I think I am, too.

Somehow, the notion that in an extremely short space of time some new format is going to become the de-facto anything seems more than a little far fetched.

Creating user interfaces by storing their properties in XML and then using them to generate the UI at runtime isn't anything new; people have been doing that for the last 8 years on Linux using Glade. Storing vector graphics in an XML format using SVG has been around for about the same amount of time.

With the clout of Microsoft's marketting engine behind it, perhaps widespread adoption of XAML will occur at a less-than-glacial pace. Anything's possible.
    This signature would be seven words long if it was six words shorter.

Using my Windows Vista computer I connected to the site I provided a link to in my first post in this thread. I clicked on the image of the snowboarder (top right of the page). The animation that eventually appeared was not very impressive. Egg's Flash animations are smoother and execute much faster. My internet connection is a 768K digital DSL line.

Developers may use XAML to create custom buttons and other UI objects, but I don't see this replacing Flash for use on the Web.

The Vista RC1 comes with .NET 3.0, XAML, and Microsoft Presentation Foundation (MPF). I did not want to install beta versions on my WinXP machine because I do use it for software development.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Quote Originally Posted by Big Frank View Post
    If you haven't worked out by now that you are so far removed from Xara's targeted demographic...
    Then XAML's demographic is headed to where DOS users went. XAML is going to be a common format just as Word documents are for word processing. Get used to it, or get left behind. Its a shame that you are so stern in your short sightedness - its like a pilot refusing to see the mountain ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    I would hope that my customers would demand a website that was effective, visually attractive, easy to navigate and one which their customers could find the content they needed quickly and easily.

Your comment sounds more like something I would expect to read in a marketing or advertising campaign.
    Gary
    XAML isnt necessarily about publishing your files as XAML. Its about interchanging files with others who build websites. Microsoft Expression is a huge line of tools coming out and like it or not - just the fact that it is Microsoft will gain it market share. It works a lot with XAML, although for the web most will still output JPG/PNG/GIF. But how will Xara interact with Microsoft Expression? You think Microsoft is going to add a Xara import?

Quote Originally Posted by Odat View Post
    Perhaps you are, Gary! I think I am, too.
    Somehow, the notion that in an extremely short space of time some new format is going to become the de-facto anything seems more than a little far fetched.
    It wont for users, but it will for designers and developers.

Creating user interfaces by storing their properties in XML and then using them to generate the UI at runtime isn't anything new; people have been doing that for the last 8 years on Linux using
    GIF and JPG didnt offer "new" over Bitmap or other formats either, yet they succeeded.

With the clout of Microsoft's marketting engine behind it, perhaps widespread adoption of XAML will occur at a less-than-glacial pace. Anything's possible.
    All the new tools coming out of MS are XAML centric. So unless you believe that no one is going to use the new Microsoft tools, well you guys really should keep using WordPerfect for DOS.

Quote Originally Posted by Soquili View Post
    Using my Windows Vista computer I connected to the site I provided a link to in my first post in this thread. I clicked on the image of the snowboarder (top right of the page). The animation that eventually appeared was not very impressive. Egg's Flash animations are smoother and execute much faster. My internet connection is a 768K digital DSL line.
    That site is less than stellar.... But again - XAML isnt necessarily about publishing it that way to end users on the web. Its a source format. Do you publish AI files on your website for users to see in the browser?

Here are some old demos:
    http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=34528
    http://channel9.msdn.com/showpost.aspx?postid=116327

These type of apps can only be done on Windows realisticaly using XAML. So if Xara is to interact with the new tools, it needs XAML export. Granted Xara is only going to export one tiny part of XAML, Vector Graphics but thats Xara's strength.

XAML is now a core part of Vista, and will be on XP too. So unless you want to ignore any desingers building for Windows - then you have to support XAML. Its that simple.

Developers may use XAML to create custom buttons and other UI objects, but I don't see this replacing Flash for use on the Web.
    That is only one small part of XAML. Flash will continue to be prevalent for a while, no worries. But soon XAML will be a MAJOR source file format for users using MS tools.

In addition, WPF/E is coming and will compete with Flash.

The Vista RC1 comes with .NET 3.0, XAML, and Microsoft Presentation Foundation (MPF). I did not want to install beta versions on my WinXP machine because I do use it for software development.
    .NET 3.0 and WPF for XP will be released very shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by czhower View Post
    Then XAML's demographic is headed to where DOS users went. XAML is going to be a common format just as Word documents are for word processing. Get used to it, or get left behind. Its a shame that you are so stern in your short sightedness - its like a pilot refusing to see the mountain ahead.
    No, it's like an evangelist sitting in the cockpit screeching "Watch out! You're about to hit God's Mountain of Wrath!" and the pilot saying "yeah, I saw that cloud too - it's made of vapour".
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.