Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: XAML export?

Default Re: XAML export?

Quote Originally Posted by Soquili View Post
    czhower I was asking about your statement because I don't know about XAML. A quick google search turned up the web link I posted. The link does say that other platforms will be supported in the future, but how many times have we heard similar claims that turned into 'vaporware'.

I appreciate your information. It does sound as though XAML will be something to watch for further development.

I do a little software development and having the ability to include XAML would be an advantage.
    XAML definitely won't become vaporware and more than Windows became vaporware when everyone was still using DOS.

XAML support isn't critical yet, but its going to come on rather quick and its not that difficult to add as an export. Its a small investment and its better to be there before customers demand it rather than after now that XAML spec is solidified.

Quote Originally Posted by czhower View Post
    No, in the way that customers now want HTML and CSS instead of HTML 3.2, but its a much bigger shift than that. Software Developers in the future will only accept XAML. And with WPF and WPF/E on the web, and many web tools even accepting XAML input, its going to be strong in the future.

So if you work with software developers, its inevitable. And on the web it will become quite prevalent for vector graphics.
    Well, if you say so, but my scepticism knows no bounds. Look at where SVG is (Scalable Vector Graphics for those of you who don't know). SVG is to graphics what XHTML is to text, yet its take-up has been minimal. We cannot even export from Xara to SVG, yet the technology to view SVG files is native to Firefox and as an Adobe plug-in in IE:

http://www.croczilla.com/svg/samples/lion/lion.svg
    http://www.croczilla.com/svg/samples/tiger/tiger.svg

Yet who designs with SVG in mind? I don't want to start an arguement about SVG/SWF, I'm just making the point that the hype rarely matches reality.
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

XAML definitely won't become vaporware and more than Windows became vaporware when everyone was still using DOS.

XAML support isn't critical yet, but its going to come on rather quick and its not that difficult to add as an export. Its a small investment and its better to be there before customers demand it rather than after now that XAML spec is solidified.
    If you're a developer and you know XAML in detail, couldn't you create a appropriate export filter for Xara Xtreme for Linux? That's the reason, why there is a open source version of Xara Xtreme: Enhance Xara Xtreme by developing you're own functions. There is already great documentation out there to support your first steps. And there is a special documentation for developers of additional import/export filters.

Wouldn't you be proud of yourself, if your name stands for the author of Xara Xtreme's new great XAML import/export routine?

Remi
    Last edited by remi; 02 November 2006 at 04:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Frank View Post
    We cannot even export from Xara to SVG, yet the technology to view SVG files is native to Firefox and as an Adobe plug-in in IE.
    The open source version of Xara Xtreme (Xara Xtreme for Linux) has already a rudimentary SVG export routine and I think, it's only a question of time for the windows version of Xara Xtreme.

Looking through the documentation on Microsoft's website about XAML, it is still in Beta testing. All links to the XAMLPad application that can be used to create XAML files are not working.

There is some documentation about integrating with Visual Studio 2005 (the latest version) so that XAML can be incorporated into applications developed with the product.

.NET 3.0 is still in Beta and requires Windows XP SP2 or better to install. So anyone still using Windows 2000 as their development machine is out of luck.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Looking through the documentation on Microsoft's website about XAML, it is still in Beta testing. All links to the XAMLPad application that can be used to create XAML files are not working.
    Its in RC and will be released this month with Vista timeframe. The links dont work because you dont have .NET 3.0 installed. The XAML spec itself is and has been solidified for quite some time.

.NET 3.0 is still in Beta and requires Windows XP SP2 or better to install. So anyone still using Windows 2000 as their development machine is out of luck.
    It works on Windows 2003 as well. 2000 is pretty dated and falling out of usage except in some older servers. WPF/E might run on 2000.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Frank View Post
    Well, if you say so, but my scepticism knows no bounds. Look at where SVG is (Scalable Vector Graphics for those of you who don't know). SVG is to graphics what XHTML is to text, yet its take-up has been minimal. We cannot even export from Xara to SVG, yet the technology to view SVG files is native to Firefox and as an Adobe plug-in in
    And what major software company backs SVG?

What major software development kit uses SVG?

What operating system uses SVG for its UI?

Change the above to XAML and you can answer Microsoft and a bunch of vendors, Visual Studio, and Vista as well as all .NET 3.0 applications on XP and 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by remi View Post
    If you're a developer and you know XAML in detail, couldn't you create a appropriate export filter for Xara Xtreme for Linux?
    Sure I *could* but I'm in a business to make money and have plenty of projects in the pipeline. I bought Xara - and I'll have to leave it eventually if it does not support XAML.

Thats why I buy Xara - so I dont have to build my own graphics package.

Sure I *could* but I'm in a business to make money and have plenty of projects in the pipeline. I bought Xara - and I'll have to leave it eventually if it does not support XAML.
    No, you don't need to leave Xara Xtreme. Wait a little bit and you'll get a new version with XAML import/export filter.

Quote Originally Posted by remi View Post
    No, you don't need to leave Xara Xtreme. Wait a little bit and you'll get a new version with XAML import/export filter.
    "I'll have to leave it eventually if it does not support XAML"

Note the future tense. I'm not ready to dump Xara now or next week. But I am stating that XAML will become important and that in the future, maybe 6 months from now XAML will become critical for me and many others.

If we at least know that Xara is looking at it and plans to have such an export (and import too. ) and if its on a reasonable time frame that would put my mind at ease.