Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: XAML export?

Default XAML export?

Im still very happy wtih Xara, but I'm concerned by lack of discussion of XAML. I do a lot of vector graphics, and XAML export is a must.

Is XAML coming at some point?

Default Re: XAML export?

Hello CZHower,

How is "XAML a must"?

XAML and Windows Presentation Foundation are supported by .NET Framework 3.0 which is part of Windows Vista. It is used for creating GUI elements.

http://www.xaml.net/
    Last edited by Soquili; 02 November 2006 at 01:43 PM.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

XAML is of absolutely no interest to me. How does XAML affect my use of Xara products?
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Quote Originally Posted by Soquili View Post
    Hello CZHower,
    XAML and Windows Presentation Foundation are supported by .NET Framework 3.0 which is part of Windows Vista. It is used for creating GUI elements.
    http://www.xaml.net/
    You don't understand XAML then.

XAML is only one part of WPF. WPF is not only part of Vista, but works on XP and 2000 as well. With WPF/E being released next year, XAML will also run on Mac and Linux.

XAML can be and often will be used with things that have nothingt to do with UI's. Its usable in XPS documents, and is a format capable of containing stand alone vector graphics.

Those working on Windows will begin to use XAML as a "de facto" format. If you choose to ignore it, you can but customers will demand it and anyone building Windows apps, WPF/E, Office, and so on will want XAML.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Frank View Post
    XAML is of absolutely no interest to me. How does XAML affect my use of Xara products?
    It doesn't currently, but it will. Customers will demand XAML formats as it becomes common which it will over the next year.

Your's? probably not at all. This is the same discussion that happens when people cry for greater page layout and printing capabilities and the web graphic and hobby guys go "what's the point it's great the way it is". For those of us that do interface design XAML would be a very nice addition indeed. There is potentialy a very big market for a graphics app to position itself as "THE" solution for vista interface development. Do I think it will be Xara? No, but there is room there and there are a fair number that could really use this ability.

J

Quote Originally Posted by czhower View Post
    It doesn't currently, but it will. Customers will demand XAML formats as it becomes common which it will over the next year.
    Ah. You mean in the way website customers are demanding that their websites be designed using XML and XSL?

Because they're not. And never will. Because they have no interest in the technology - their only interest is in the end product.
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

czhower I was asking about your statement because I don't know about XAML. A quick google search turned up the web link I posted. The link does say that other platforms will be supported in the future, but how many times have we heard similar claims that turned into 'vaporware'.

I appreciate your information. It does sound as though XAML will be something to watch for further development.

I do a little software development and having the ability to include XAML would be an advantage.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Skeesick View Post
    There is potentialy a very big market for a graphics app to position itself as "THE" solution for vista interface development. Do I think it will be Xara? No, but there is room there and there are a fair number that could really use this ability.
    I dont expect or want Xara to try to do what Expression Interatcive does. I dont want to design the UI's in Xara. What I *do* want and users will need is the ability to export Xara vector graphics in XAML that UI and other designers will then use in their tools as one component.

That aside XAML will likely become a defacto standard for vector image interchange between graphics applications as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Frank View Post
    Ah. You mean in the way website customers are demanding that their websites be designed using XML and XSL?

Because they're not. And never will. Because they have no interest in the technology - their only interest is in the end product.
    No, in the way that customers now want HTML and CSS instead of HTML 3.2, but its a much bigger shift than that. Software Developers in the future will only accept XAML. And with WPF and WPF/E on the web, and many web tools even accepting XAML input, its going to be strong in the future.

So if you work with software developers, its inevitable. And on the web it will become quite prevalent for vector graphics.