Hi,

In case you haven't tried this URL:

ftp://ftp.corel.com/pub/Painter/6.1/

Jinny

Jinny Brown
    http://www.pixelalley.com
    Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
    IP

Here are some examples of output from the Painter 6.1 Woodcut filter. The image in the upper left is the original. Hopefully, this will give you a sense of Woodcut's possibilities.

-pixlart
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	woodcut-demo.jpg 
Views:	813 
Size:	134.0 KB 
ID:	2193  
    IP

Hi everyone!

I've been fiddling with doing the wood cut thing without benefit of the 6.1 patch and can't seem to find anything that looks like a real wood cutting tool would look.

For what it's worth, I think Mr. Bat's version is the best so far since it indicates a hand-tooled look by use of the Scratchboard tool. Still, the paper texture on the lower surface doesn't quite give a look of cuts into the wood in a particular direction, or slightly varying directions as the cuts would be if done on real wood with real wood cutting tools.

I wonder, can anyone think of a good way to record some strokes that might imitate this better.. what brushes, etc.?

My memories of wood cutting are really of linoleum block cutting when I was a kid and missed the mark one day causing a bloody mess. (Poor finger!) [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Jinny

Jinny Brown
    IP

Hi Jinny and All.
    Attached is another example of a Wood Block technique done with the texture applied before the carving strokes were added. There is actually a big difference between Wood Cut and Wood Block printing.
    Wood Cuts are carved in the End Grain of a hard wood, more like engraving. Wood blocks are done on the board's surface, more like carving.
    Sorry I can't give more details. It has been a moon or two since I have done either and I have destroyed lots of gray matter since then.
    P.S.
    You Folks are right, this thing is much much smoother in the operations department.

[This message was edited by Monastic Bat on December 16, 2000 at 06:41 AM.]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2wood-blk.jpg 
Views:	737 
Size:	28.7 KB 
ID:	12893  
    IP

Thanks for the info on the differences between Wood Cut and Wood Block.. which obviously I didn't know about.

If and when I find the time, maybe I'll do some research on these methods so at least I'll have an understanding of what I'm trying to replicate. <g>

Jinny

Jinny Brown
    IP

Vermont, (the state that makes NH. nervous)

Hi Greg, Jinney, & all,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's my understanding that wood block prints are any prints made from wood, (although the word 'block' does refer to an end cut block used for wood engraving and often sanded down flat and re-used like a litho stone). And; types of wood block prints are wood cuts, (done "on the plank", the side grain, with wood carving tools), and wood engravings ,(done on the end grain, often hard enough to use metal engraving tools).

For more info, check out David Bull's extensive site at Woodblock.com . He leans towards japanese woodblocks (my favorites, and what many consider the peak of the art form or craft, as you will). While there be sure to check out Hiroshi Yoshida gorgeous work at http://www.woodblock.com/encyclopedi.../appendix.html Impressive stuff, using upwards of 15 blocks and 70 impressions!!

BR....
    IP

Thanks BR, you are correct, as I said the gray matter isn't what it used to be.
    IP

BR,

Thank you for the wonderful site addresses. I'm at www.woodblock.com now and can see it will be a fascinating tour. Also have the other site bookmarked to look at later.

Oboy! There's always so much more to learn!

Jinny
    ________

Jinny Brown
    IP

Vermont, (the state that makes NH. nervous)

Greg,
    Hey, that's what you get for being older then dirt [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] And look who's talking !! Mine turned to mush a long time ago [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Jin,
    Isn't that a great site! Informative, personable, well written, (and no ads). I find myself totally intrigued by his artistic journey, and yet somehow jealous of his drive. Good thing today was Sunday, as I couldn't stop reading.

BR....
    IP

BR,

Yes, it's a peaceful site and he writes beautifully, just as he works beautifully. It's like reading a fine book. I'll be back again to read more since today was full of interruptions.

Thanks again for sharing the two sites.

Jinny

Jinny Brown
    IP