Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Hi:

Here is a sample of the Woodcut filter as applied to a photograph.

1> The original photo

2> This is a color only reduction. You can adjust the number of colors, as well as the "roundness" of the color areas.

3> This is a Black only reduction. You can control the thickness, as well as other attributes of the reduction areas.

4> This is the 2 reductions impositioned. You can also output both black and color in one step, but you get more control to do the separately. I added my own interpretive clouds.

5> This is a 100% closeup to show the real detail. I used Dye Concentration to add the appearance of paper grain.

The Woodcut filter has a lot of expressive range in it. You can also experiment on original artwork as a starting point, as well.

Enjoy!

-pixlart
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	progs.jpg 
Views:	678 
Size:	64.9 KB 
ID:	19573  
    IP

Wow love the work you did with the woodcut filter. Makes me want to down load the patch.
    Will wait till the final patch to get all the bug in it though. I can not wait to do some work with that filter. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    IP

I'm really glad I joined this forum today! I've been crying to find others to talk and learn more about this stuff.

I have tried to digitally simulate woodcuts on Painter for a long time (on my own initially by looking at true wood engravings) and now, I'm finally getting closer to it.

Painter 7's function is good if you want to save time but for my own developing style, I've started a series of web pages to share my learnings on the "manual" creation of digital woodcuts. You can see my initial set of pages by going to http://www.romedome.com/art/how-to/.

This website will eventually allow others to download the brush variants I've saved to simulate the various woodcut looks-leveraging off of Painter's scratchboard and other tools to simulate the effects of the wood engraver's tools (slipstriker, tinters, scorper, lozange graver, etc), sharing lessons I've learned to achieving that look, and providing links to pages/websites that have inspired me or taught me about the history & tools & methods of wood engraving.

If you have other "manual" Painter techniques for simulating woodcuts, I'm eager to learn, so please visit and contact me from there (or reply to this thread)!

Thanks for this subject,
    Romeo

[This message was edited by romedome on October 04, 2001 at 15:12.]
    IP

Romeo,

Welcome to the Talkgraphics Painter Forum. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Thanks for diving in and being so enthusiastic. This forum is very lucky to have the skilled visitors that we DO have here.

I just checked in on the forum and found your post earlier about woodcut style images. As I read your post I knew I was going to have to dig this thread up and direct you to it . . .but you found it on your own!!! Very cool!!

Please, as the questions or comments arise in your mind, bring them to us here. I've seen a visitor post a question and get an informed answer within hours of posting.

Again, it's great to have you. Enjoy your visits.

Athena

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Athena
    Our thoughts are bounded by words. The quality of those thoughts is largely determined by the words that compose them.
    IP

Many thanks for the warm welcome, Athena.

I finished the How-To on woodcuts if anyone wants to visit. Again, it's my personal style I'm sharing based on my learnings and mistakes - I definitely want to try other techniques. Here's the specific URL:
    http://www.romedome.com/art/how-to/woodcuts/

Here's an example taken from the site:

http://www.romedome.com/art/how-to/w...ian_detail.jpg

Thanks again, everyone!
    Romeo
    IP