Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Easy AI CS2 Sizing problem

This must be obvious because it totally evades me

I work in an A4 document in Illustrator. Then I export as a JPG file, and the document is 800 pixels to a side at best, and often clipped so the outermost objects are at the border of the image

Any help with this would help a very confused enthusiast a lot!
    IP

Default Re: Easy AI CS2 Sizing problem

Couldn't understand your problem, thought I knew all of AI's faults, so tried it out and could not replicate your problem. One question that I must ask what programme are you opening the j-peg in? as this could be your problem as its artboard could be set up for different size.
    Design is thinking made visual.
    IP

Sorry for the wait

When I export, the file is cropped to accommodate the outermost filled or stroked path.

Here's an example I've knocked up. I have the artboard set to an A4 workpiece. I place my vectors within that A4 area. I export as jpg. And blam! It's been cropped and the file size is way down. Strange no?

The only solution I can see logically is to use a white filled (or stroked) path to the equivalent size of the desired area (ie A4).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RW Logo.jpg 
Views:	456 
Size:	163.3 KB 
ID:	31813  
    IP

Thats not a fault of Illy's or all vector and bit mapped editors they export that way not to the size of the artboard but to the selection. Both Illy and xara give you the option of saving to the document size however, in illy, when you "save for the web", and then on the righthand side info panel of the window that opens, click on the "image size" tab and then select where it states "clip to artboard" and your problem is sorted. For web graphics it is much easier if you make the artboard the exact size that you want in pixels and then work from that.
    Design is thinking made visual.
    IP

I think option "image size" can solve ur problem.
    IP