Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Need help to create spinning border around board with extruded logo

Hi,

I bought Xara3D6 recently and I'm trying to make a 3D version of our company logo. Our logo is simply our name on a red elliptical board with another red ring around it.

I thought this would be very easy but for some reason I can get the 3D version to work with the text, board and outer ring together.

original.xar is our basic logo (grouped text & ellipses created in Xara Xtreme).
    Example1.xar is the text on it's own (created in Xara Xtreme).
    Example2.X3D shows the problem I have on copying the logo into Xara 3D (ie. the text gets totally lost).
    Example3.X3D shows the result of just copying the text (Example 1) into Xara3D. This is something like the result i'm after but I need the text on a rotating red elliptical board with the outer border ring spinning in the opposite direction.

Hope that made sense!

PS. I hope I attach the examples correctly as I've not posted attachments to forums before.

Any advice would be appreciated.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Telovne; 24 October 2006 at 08:23 PM.

Default Re: Need help to create spinning border around board with extruded logo

Take your 3D board and copy it. Go to the other anim with the ring and the lettering. Stop the anim. Enable the text cursor. Hit enter. Paste the board. Go to Line Spacing on top bar and adjust till they all come together. You will have to change the extrusion depth of the lettering and the board - make the lettering more than the board's depth. To select each one, use that spacing adjuster to spread the 3 objects out, then move the text cursor to the right of the board and shift/left arrow will select just the board. Now change its extrusion depth. Turn text cursor off, then on again and get it by the lettering and shift/left arrow the letters and make that extrusion depth more than the board, so it stands out more.
    You will see that your board needs to be bigger.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bakers.gif 
Views:	393 
Size:	147.9 KB 
ID:	31087  
    Last edited by -=Drifter=-; 24 October 2006 at 08:44 PM.
    -=Bob=-

And my attempt
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Drifter, thank you very much for those instructions, I managed to create something towards my goal but I've stumbled on a problem with being able to create a board and text with the color of the original. I'll attach what I've done so far. I'm sorry it's quite gory and you will need sunglasses. But I was so pleased I got this far even.

Egg that is amazing and almost exactly the result I'm after!
    Did you use the same method Drifter gave?
    Could you walk me through your construction too as I really would love to be able to recreate this?

Thanks Drifter and Egg for taking the time to help me. I do appreciate this.

Telovne, your anim looks great. I don't understand what you would like changed.
    Last edited by -=Drifter=-; 24 October 2006 at 10:20 PM.
    -=Bob=-

Quote Originally Posted by -=Drifter=- View Post
    Telovne, your anim looks great. I don't understand what you would like changed.
    lol thanks Drifter, I thought only my mother would appreciate my version , so thanks for helping me create it!

At the moment my effort is relying on the lights to give it color, so it's a bit metallic and monotone in appearance.

I'd like to be able to independently alter the board, text & border colors and get the matt finish of the original logo, similar to the version Egg made.

It would be a huge help if I knew exactly how to create that version too, as I will probably only need to slightly adjust size and colors to fit in with our companys website page for it's final dimensions, file size and background colors.

Matt, play with all the settings. Change the color of the lights. Check in the Extrusion settings and see if you like Matt or Gloss better. ('Course, with your name you probably like Matt better...)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_Image1.jpg 
Views:	395 
Size:	37.8 KB 
ID:	31104  
    -=Bob=-

Matt,

I can't go into a full explanation currently but I've attached the Xtreme file I used for creating the Xara3D file.

Just select the (purple) sizing pixels with everthing, plus first the inner ellipse, copy & paste into Xara3D. Press enter to give a line feed.

Now select the sizing pixels & outer ellipse, copy & paste into Xara3D. Line feed.

Now select the sizing pixels and the baker text, copy and paste into Xara3D.

You can now select each line in turn and alter the colour and Extrusion to suit.

Finally go into the Text Options window, select the middle line of 'text' and set the Baseline shift to 100%. Then select the lowest line of 'text' and set the Baseline shift to 200%. This places all the 'text' over each other in the original Xtreme location and sizing.

Finally, instead of Font Size 'Fit to Width' set it to 255 and adjust the window size down until you can no longer see the sizing pixels rotating.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Here's my latest attempt, I seem to be on the right track now.

I have learnt more in the last day, than in the last week about Xara 3D from Drifter and Egg.

Thanks again for all the advice!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Finally managed to get it to work with the border separate from the text.

Edit: I noticed one strange thing. I can't change the extrude of the text at all, only the board size expands and that corrupts the text to a striped effect.
    Weird.. does anyone know if this is a bug in Xara3d6 or have I done something wrong to cause it?

No matter,

I see.. although I separated outer border from the text, the inner board and text are still grouped until I edit in the text editor. Phew
    Last edited by Telovne; 25 October 2006 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Noticed extruded problem.