Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question flash image - "no referring link"???

Can anyone help?

I have created a flash image which acts as a link to a friends website on my site. He wanted to keep track of how many referrals had come from the flash link on my site. He is using Statcounter but when a click through takes place from my site to his site via the flash image link, all that appears in his stats as the referring site is - "no referring link".

With a standard text link to his site from mine the correct information appears in the referring site.

Do i need to change the flash image in anyway? Is it a stat counter problem?
    IP

Default Re: flash image - "no referring link"???

Hello Gilo, welcome to Talkgraphics.

Theoretically, I know it's possible using count (counting each click). It will not be accurate though because a user can click more than once until he is refered so be advised.

Practically, I don't know how to do it. You can refer to THIS thread and search the links. There are some very useful tutorials.
    IP

Welcome Gilo,

I don't know if this will work or not but it might be worth a try.

In Flash remove all links to your friends site.
    In your html editor, select the swf place-holder and give this a link to your friends site.

If you can do it it should work correctly.
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host
    IP

Arrow Re: flash image - "no referring link"???

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Welcome Gilo,

I don't know if this will work or not but it might be worth a try.

In Flash remove all links to your friends site.
    In your html editor, select the swf place-holder and give this a link to your friends site.

If you can do it it should work correctly.

Is this as simple as writing the link code html (<a href=......> </a>) between the start of the object code of the flash image and end of it?
    IP

Yes it should be. I've never tried it with an embedded swf file but I can't see why it shouldn't work.

Let us know how you get on.
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host
    IP