Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Can't trim using 7.0

I've been an Illustrator user for years and haven't used CorelDraw in a long, long time, that's why I have 7.0. Anyway, I'm trying to trim a jpg file and I get a message that says 'the trim operation could not be completed on the selected object." So here's what I did, I'm sure I must have done it wrong but can't find any more instructions anywhere.

1. I drew a box the size I wanted my jpg trimmed to and then placed it on top of the jpg file.
    2. If I click on the jpg, the "Trim" button dims. If I click on the box I want to use to do the trimming, the "trim" button is active. So I click on the box, then click trim.
    3. My cursor changes to a big black arrow. I'm not sure at this point what to do with it. I've tried clicking the jpg, the box, and grouping them together and clicking. I always get the same message that the trim operation can't be completed.

I hope someone can point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance for your help.
    IP

Default Re: Can't trim using 7.0

DRAW 7.0 is not one I have used. I would imagine you might be trying to do PowerClip which is a kind of a mask in DRAW which hides whatever you want to hide made from any shape. The trick is if this is what you are using is to have this shape on the top of the stacking order. Select your .jpeg and choose PowerClip and then click on the shape you want it clipped to. It is easiet if you make the shape you are using solid. If you want it to be transparent, eaier to do this after you make the clipview by left clicking the "X" in the color palette. I am assuming this is what you are doing.

If your .jpeg is only needing to be cropped to a rectangle, you can using the node select tool, select two nodes on a side and holding "Ctrl" as you go, resize the .jpeg. The switch to the opposite axis and choose another two nodes and resize those. In most versions of DRAW, you can then go "Bitmap"/"Crop Bitmap" from the menus. Or you can right click and edit the picture in PhotoPaint. Save and return to DRAW.
    Every day's a new day, "draw" on what you've learned.

Sally M. Bode
    IP

It's been a long time since I used seven, but here is my 2 cents. You almost have it right but you have to select your drwn shape the shift selct the jpg and hit trim I believe.
    I could be wrong.
    Jim
    IP

Unhappy Re: Can't trim using 7.0

I just can't do it. None of the suggestions are working. I always get that same error message. I click on the .jpg, then click on the mask, then click Trim. My cursor changes to a big black arrow, but I don't know what to do with the arrow. I've clicked everywhere with it, but I aways get the message that says "The trim operation could not be completed on the selected object." Any other suggestions?
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by violetflowers View Post
    I just can't do it. None of the suggestions are working. I always get that same error message. I click on the .jpg, then click on the mask, then click Trim. My cursor changes to a big black arrow, but I don't know what to do with the arrow. I've clicked everywhere with it, but I aways get the message that says "The trim operation could not be completed on the selected object." Any other suggestions?
    Did you check the help file? It has been long time since I used 7 I am on 13 (X3)..maybe seven didn't have trim function yet?
    Are in Draw or in PhotoPaint7? trim is not in the CorelPaint7 I don't think?
    Jim
    IP

Yes, I've checked the help file. I am doing it as the instructions say. I should be very simple, but it just isn't working. I'm downloading a trial copy of Photoshop to see if I can get the job done with it.
    IP

Sounds like you are trying to crop by using a PowerClip, PowerClips should be on top of the item you want to trim, and best if it is filled and not just an outline. When you get that big black arrow, click on the box you are using to trim. Right clicking allows you to edit the position of the item in the PowerClip.

Hiding the edges in a ClipView is not actual cropping, it is just hiding inside of a kind of a mask.

Since these are different functions: crop and PowerClip, we thought you were cropping.
    Every day's a new day, "draw" on what you've learned.

Sally M. Bode
    IP

ok, did it like you said trying to crop my jpg, I changed the box to a filled color and I still got the same error message. So I decided to try something different. I drew a red box and put a blue circle on top and the trim worked fine. Do you think it doesn't trim jpgs? That sound funny to me. Any suggestions?
    IP

Has seven got the powrclip feature? If so use poserclip.Create your shape, import your jg and place in poserclip.
    JIm
    IP

Did it!! Thanks guys! Powerclip worked!
    IP