Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Questions about graphics requirements for publishing

The following discussion is related to my thread on B/W photographs, but I think it is different enough to warrant a new thread.

If you have followed the other thread you may recall that I have a lot of World War 1 era B/W photographs inherited from my Grandfather. I hope to clean these up and possibly publish them as a local history resource.

In this thread I am asking if anyone has any experience with producing graphics for such a publication. I am would appreciate any comments on the list of questions I came up with below and any other helpful thoughts anyone may have.

1) Considering just the archival aspect, when making my original scans, what would be appropriate resolutions and file types to use? I understand that TIF is often preferred due to lack of loss, correct?

2) If TIF, can anyone provide a solution to the following problem? I run Win2K and like to keep folders set to display thumbnails but TIFs don't show as thumbnails, at least on my PC. Any workaround anyone know of?

3) What type of resolution, file type, etc., should I produce for the image that would be submitted for publishing?

Default Re: Questions about graphics requirements for publishing

To me when I do this type of work I ask at my work if I can use the scanner as you do not pay over £20,000 for nothing. Using my home scanner I can never get the same detail off the picture as I can at work. Have a look at this site and think about using I think Art Scan Pro is what it is called: http://www.scantips.com/
    Design is thinking made visual.