Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Another Dead Nigga ...

Joe, I was just going to say the exact same thing. Isn't art supposed to be on the other end of the spectrum from political correctness? Don't some artists appear on stage nude, or put crosses in urine, put flags like rugs in front of installations to make people tread on them, etc. I don't like half the stuff, but you know, sometimes art just pokes you with a stick, to let you remember, or let you discover a visceral reaction. Sometimes you don't need to be reminded, and you're offended at being reminded. But that same art 5 yrs earlier, or 5yrs later will have a different impact on you, because by then, every molecule in your body will have been switched out for another and you'll be a different person...

I think Logo used the title to put the drawing into a context, and a time period. If Logo would have used that intro on a political/social forum, a much different intentionality would have been infered by many

My brain didn't quite process the reading of the title smoothly because we've all been conditioned that that is a bad word. I felt the little speed bump in my brain as I made it through to his paragraph text. But I'm not going to "launch a complaint" because it's in context, and until there's maliciousness ( which I don't see ), we should take the art at face value, and that includes the text, and context...

Just my thoughts as a greenhorn.
    IP

Default Re: Another Dead ...

Here we go. Be controversial because we can.

All this debate over the N word, forget it. This isn't the place. If Richard used it, it doesn't matter. He wouldn't be doing stand up comedy at TalkGraphics.

There's plenty of negative connotations for the word that we don't want it here in a title. Take it to some debating forum if you want to talk about it.
    I'd start a revolution, if I could get up in the morning.
    IP

Yeah Anthony is right ... this is no place for art nor comedy ...
    IP

At least Antony finally changed the title, Thank you. I agree that no matter what anyone thinks it is just not appropriate here.
    Bruce
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Happiness is free for the taking, Please take some for yourself
    Artist For Hire
    IP

Default Re: Another Dead Nigga ...

I agree with Joe. As always, Logo Kid, your creation is fantastic, and captures that moment in a valid way.

If those who criticize your caption would honestly look at the work before doing so, I believe they would see that the picture was created with love and deep respect for Richard. It is obvious in the picture--it 'shines' through, and you have a real gift for accomplishing that in your work.

Wars will continue to be fought until people learn to look behind words, and see the humanity at the heart of it all. You have done a good job capturing that humanity. Thank you for sharing. And, in another way, thank you for not being PC, and being true to your feelings. It shakes us all up, and makes us all ponder things that are usually swept under the rug in this day and age. That's what true art has always been about.

Best wishes,
    David
    IP

David, what you say is "not PC" is deeply offensive to someone who has been bullied with that term. Do not treat LogoKid like he is some hero. Perhaps if you experienced racism against you you'd feel different and the use of such a word. It is not brave or challenging to post a word on a forum. It's more brave to think of what people will think, and perhaps show some restraint.

As I said, this isn't the place. Go to discussion forums. I'm closing this thread now.
    I'd start a revolution, if I could get up in the morning.
    IP