Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Another Dead ...

not a zombie ... and another style ... as style is all
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	anotherdeadnigga.gif 
Views:	382 
Size:	53.9 KB 
ID:	30846  
    IP

Default Re: Another Dead Nigga ...

James, the style is interesting and a good likeness of Richard Pryor. I do find the title to be offensive.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

James

I really think the style you've used here is very effective. I think this is your best portrait. The only crit I would have is the Cross on the forehead which I find distracts from the overall effect. But perhaps you intended this?

Bill -

I do find the title to be offensive.
    I thought about this, however it was a word R.P. used so much in his own stand-up routines I don't see how anyone could take offense.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host
    IP

I also find your title offensive.
    Your bigotry isn't acceptable on this forum.
    Please keep it to yourself!
    - AF
    IP

Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host
    IP

Hi James,
    I am in total agreement with Egg here. It amazing how people in this forum will always sallow the bait that you leave them. How did you get the bitmapped jagged effect I find that effect really effective in this drawing?
    Design is thinking made visual.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    I quote from your reference:

"Comfortably successful and into the zenith of his career, Pryor visited Africa in 1979. Upon returning to the United States, Pryor swore he would never use the "N" word in his stand-up comedy routine again."

So, is it still appropriate?
    IP

Eventhough it says so in the article (the link Egg supplied) not everyone gets your humor, so I am not sure your thread topic is a good choice.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Albacore View Post
    Hi James,
    I am in total agreement with Egg here. It amazing how people in this forum will always sallow the bait that you leave them. How did you get the bitmapped jagged effect I find that effect really effective in this drawing?
    The way I got the effect is by just using the rectangle tool with the colour set and a certain level of transparency and put on a few Pryor albums ... 'Bicentennial Nigger', 'Live 1979', And my favourite, 'That Nigger's Crazy' and just let rip ...

And I wouldn't say my title was baiting people or even intended bigotry (as everyone would like to believe) ... I think people need to know find out about what Richard Pryors comedy was all about ... brutally honest and yeah I know all about his african trip but this is pre-1982 pryor ... that's what i was drawing, that's what i was listening to when drawing, and if anything i find everyone's over reaction rather narrow sighted ... but hey
    IP

The way I see it is this. If Pyor continued to use the word later in his life, I've no problem. If he decided it was offensive and stopped using it it wouldn't be a very appropriate thing to use after his death. I'm no Pryor expert, so I can't say what the situation is. The article reference says he stopped using the word. If that's the case, the title is offensive.

I take the point that the word has a particular resonance in relation to Pryors stage act.
    IP