Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Considering Menu Maker purchase

Is it possible to insert your own graphics rather than those on the navbar templates...? Do you know if the code is accessible/standards compliant? Looking at the files generated, it looks as though you MUST have JavaScript on to use the navigation, and there's no fall back for those that don't have it on.... for example it doesn't have a UL/LI structure but is purely JS. What a shame.

Cheers
    Andy
    Last edited by AndyD; 01 February 2007 at 10:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    Is it possible to insert your own graphics rather than those on the navbar templates...?
    Andy, yes it's very simple: Choose your template and pick the menu colors that suits you, then look at the gif files exported (if your menu is named "menu" then the graphics will be named something like menu_b1 or something alike).

Just import the graphics into a graphical program, for example Xara, and re-export the file with the new graphic under the same name (just replace the file).

Do the same with the over graphics. That's it! The names of the files must be the same, but the graphics can be changed.

See example here, that's a website I'm currently working on.
    MenuMaker cannot cope with Hebrew, so I just replaced the graphics with hebrew letters, and modified the JS code so now it shows hebrew text.

Talking Re: Considering Menu Maker purchase

HI Avi,

many thanks for the info. It may be worth purchasing then. I liked the drop down menu you have, it's the sort of thing I'd be looking for, but the necessity to use javascript would be a problem for those with js inactive... but then again how many people deactivate js on their browsers... not many I suppose....mmm.
    The site I am working on is at http://www.orange-house.co.uk/Shine/, with example of internal page at http://www.orange-house.co.uk/Shine/alisuntest.htm

I want to position the nav at the top right with dropdowns for subsections of the site. And before anyone says anything I know it is in a tables layout, but that's the template purchased, and I'll have a go at rejigging it as css.

Cheers
    Andy

Hi,
    I have been following this thread, and I thought I would add my comments. First I admit to not having MenuMaker, but I do have a registered copy of WebStyle 4, also Xara Extreme, and 3D6, none of which has anything to do with my day job. I wanted to dabble with some web pages for myself and my son, I understand what webstyle and Menumaker does, for there cost their output lifts simple pages up another notch. I know that they are not Web page makers or editors. The problem for casual users is not in what the programs produce or how they produce it, but what to do with it when you have got it! The Frontpage extensions work fine, I have to assume that the Dreamweaver extensions also work as I don' have dream weaver, but Frontpage and Dreamweaver are not for the faint hearted(read casual user). I followed Availor's video tutorials and they are ecellent as far as they go, and at 3.00am this morning I had nav bars in FrontPage, CoffeeCup and HotDog,(not Nvu) but not exactly on the page where I wanted them, I couldn't get them positioned in the frames, or the frames positioned exactly where I wanted them. There are other simple WYSIWYG web editors, Serif's WepPlus is one, having paid my money, I want to be able to use the output(WebStyle) in the program that I feel confortable with and does a reasonable job with the ability that I have (possible one notch up from village idiot!). To end my ramblings, I suppose I feel that MenuMaker/Webstyle are good programs for what they do, but maybe Xara should have spent a couple of days writing some example text on how to include the output in your webpages in various ways and maybe a couple more videos like Availor has produced. I think it would have stopped a lot of confusion, and saved a lot of time and heartache for the enduser
    The End
    (Thank heavens, do I hear you say!)
    BTW Availor, my daughter and her husband were up betwen Nahareya and Lebenon in August, Nice place,WRONG Time!

Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    HI Avi,

many thanks for the info. It may be worth purchasing then. I liked the drop down menu you have, it's the sort of thing I'd be looking for, but the necessity to use javascript would be a problem for those with js inactive... but then again how many people deactivate js on their browsers... not many I suppose....mmm.
    The site I am working on is at http://www.orange-house.co.uk/Shine/, with example of internal page at http://www.orange-house.co.uk/Shine/alisuntest.htm

I want to position the nav at the top right with dropdowns for subsections of the site. And before anyone says anything I know it is in a tables layout, but that's the template purchased, and I'll have a go at rejigging it as css.

Cheers
    Andy
    Andy, first of all, your site design is most excellent!

Secondly, JavaScript it the most common used activeX control.
    Thirdly, there's a work-around to baypass the ActiveX control blocker:

Just type some comments before the <script>

Something like

<!-- first comment -->
    <!-- second comment -->
    <!-- something more -->
    <script> ...
    </script>

Look at this example with iexplorer: www.videoxone.com/gallery.html
    This is a website I'm working on. For baypass the flash activex border I put some JS script, and to baypass the JS activation control (especialy annoying in internet explorer 7) I used the method I've explained earlier.
    Same goes for the www.videoxone.com - the first page: There are two JS scripts: The flash gallery and the scrolling ticker.

This is amazing, but IExplorer does not see the code as a threat because of the comments.

You can also try this freeware program to bypass the ActiveX control blocker:

http://www.flashrelease.com/
    Last edited by Twister; 13 February 2007 at 01:01 PM.