Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Corel and Tablet PCs

Hi All

I need to buy a new laptop and I am interested in a tablet PC

I do all of my design work in Coreldraw (signmaker/designer) and I do a lot of vectorizing.

Is it practical to do these tasks on a tablet PC or should I save some money by buying a traditional laptop?

Does corel support a tablet PC?

Do any of you guys and gals use one with corel?

dreckly

mamos
    IP

Default Re: Corel and Tablet PCs

I don't have any experience with it. But there may be a chart on corel.com that lists supported peripherals.
    Every day's a new day, "draw" on what you've learned.

Sally M. Bode
    IP

I have spoken to corel and they say it is compatible with XP tablet edition but they have no knowledge of working on tablets with draw.

I'm hoping someone on here will if it is worth the extra expense

dreckly

mamos
    IP

Hi mamos,

this thread could be interesting for you.

Regards,
    Remi
    IP

Thanks Remi

Very interesting thread but I need to find out how useful a tablet PC would be with coreldraw in particular.

The problem is that tablet PCs are almost twice the price of normal laptops and I don't want to spend a fortune and then be disapointed with it.

cheers

mamos
    IP

It seems, some talkgraphics members use graphic tablets, but nobody use a Tablet PC. The tablet technique in a Tablet PC comes from WACOM and WACOM is known as the best graphic tablet producer with good system support under Windows.

But the main question is, if there is a good "feeling" while drawing with the pen on the screen. I've heard, that some Tablet PC feels like glass instead of paper. I'm also interested in Tablet PCs, because the principle is a great one (drawing direct on the screen and interact in a more natural way with your computer), but I don't know, which Tablet PC is a bad one.

Perhaps, you need to visit a dealer, to make some tests.

Regards,
    Remi
    IP

Well I've had a Toshiba Tablet PC for a little over a year now and can say that it's great working with bitmaps but to be honest haven't done anything with vectors but honestly can't see where therre would be any problem.

Anyway Corel does have a Tablet PC specific app called Graphitto and it's kinda hard to find on their site.

You may want to check out a few Tablet PC sites also don't have the link handy but "Tablet PC Buzz" is one. Also not all Tabet PC's use the Wacom digitizer so keep that in mind as I believe it's the only one that offers pressure sensitivity.

Hope I've been of some help...
    IP

This is somewhat related, as in PhotoPaint where I use my tablet the most often the only tool which I have found that offers me touch sensitvity is the doodler. This was the same way in 12, and I was hoping it would be solved in X3. Nevertheless, know how to work around that. It is so convenient doing my work back and forth 50 times a day between DRAW and PhotoPaint that I rarely use Photoshop unless a customers work arrives in that format.

I really wonder why Corel hasn't implemented more graphics tablet support as I also use Painter and it has no problem with any of its brushes. Perhaps it is a ground up rebuild to do that to PP, I don't know.

In DRAW there is tablet support but I am so used to mousing that I mouse most of the time in DRAW. Unless I am drawing something requiring freehand ability. Using both Xara and DRAW, have come to love the shape editor of Xara and though there are more tool options in DRAW, I hope in the future that DRAW could sit up and take notice of the "Mouse that Roared". Xara has so many great features. But I need the excellent spot color support and other features DRAW has, multi-page capability, and PhotoPaint to be productive with as well. DRAW will never be long without use around me. I can't help hoping, however.
    Every day's a new day, "draw" on what you've learned.

Sally M. Bode
    IP