Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: My Revamped Site

Good news!

Paul

Pauland,

Thank you so much
    Last edited by alanstancliff; 09 October 2006 at 08:08 AM.

Very good.
    Love the Blog.
    "Intbel" ... "Can't" is not an option.

Compliance is futile. Resistance is futile. Just do your own thing an' ignore 'em.

Thanks Ray,

I appreciate the comment.
    Regards,

Alan
    The unexamined life is not worth living--Socrates

Really cool music!

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by jyoung View Post
    Really cool music!
    Joe
    Thanks Joe,

I really enjoyed putting it together. It was a lot of work. I personally sequenced and/or performed all the parts, arranged all the music except two guitar solos, and composed the majority of it. If you have a few coins, you might consider buying it. The sound quality is much better on the CD, and of course the samples are just that--samples only.

Regards,

Alan
    Regards,

Alan

Looks pretty good Alan, but I do have three suggestions:

- be consistent in your design. That means using the same color scheme throughout your site, the same navigation, fonts, etc.
    I can understand that this will be difficult in Wordpress, but I do think that you should try at least with the other pages. I can also understand that a consistent look might not be top priority to you, but a consistent navigation should be important on any site in my opinion.

- you have done the worst thing you could do when it comes to spam: using HTML mailto: on your web site and I have found at least 3 different E-mail addresses on your site that are exposed to spammers. I don't know how popular your site is, but I can guarantee you for great certainty that with any descent increase in visitors, especially search engine traffic, you will see an increase in numbers of spammers. Understand that spammers use automatic spam bots to look for E-mail addresses and if people can find you whom you've never shared your web site address with, then spam bots will over time find you too.

- don't add something like “Coming soon” on your site (other links). But hey, I’ve seen worse. I know of online business sites that completely lock their site when they plan a makeover, like this one: http://www.wallacks.com/ Never, ever is it necessary to lock down a site for a very long time (days, weeks) for a makeover.

Other than that, well done, was nice looking around on your site Alan.

Hi BlueFlare,

Thanks for the feedback. I have thought about making the site more consistent. But I just don't seem to be motivated to spend the time doing it at the moment. I'll probably redesign the whole thing later on, but I'm really still experimenting with stuff. I'll concede it's not the kosher way to design a site. It really was several different sites that I kind of shmushed up into one. I periodically try to learn something new about HTML, and then the temptation is to try it out on a part of my site. It was a worse mess before.

- you have done the worst thing you could do when it comes to spam: using HTML mailto:
    I know it looks like I have used the HTML mailto command, but if you look at the source code of my page, you won't find the mailto command. Instead, I have disguised it. The site has been up for a fair amount of months now, and I don't seem to get spam those particular mailboxes. Each of those clickable email links brings up a different email address on my domain, so I can keep pretty good track.

Your opinion was well formulated and has much merit. Thank you for sharing it with me.

I'm glad you enjoyed my site.
    Regards,

Alan

[QUOTE=BlueFlare;196258]
    - you have done the worst thing you could do when it comes to spam: using HTML mailto: on your web site and I have found at least 3 different E-mail addresses on your site that are exposed to spammers. I don't know how popular your site is, but I can guarantee you for great certainty that with any descent increase in visitors, especially search engine traffic, you will see an increase in numbers of spammers. Understand that spammers use automatic spam bots to look for E-mail addresses and if people can find you whom you've never shared your web site address with, then spam bots will over time find you too.
    QUOTE]

what do you do instead of mailto:
    ? thanks

One option is to put the email address as an image (though without a clickable link), or to use a form (since that doesn't expose your email adress, but requires some server-side functionality).

Paul