Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Repertoire presentation

I am curious as to the best way to walk into a graphics company and show them some of the vector graphics a person has made.
    Is there some prg that you can use to make thumbnails and then open the full pic when clicked on?
    Would this prg and all the pics then be burned onto a cd or dvd?
    Would the prg be able to play on the company’s hardware?
    Would it be better to do this all of this on a website and simply give the company the url?
    Would the same prg be used?
    -=Bob=-

Default Re: Repertoire presentation

Bob, sounds like you are wanting to build a portfolio.

I've known some people that have created a portfolio using html and presented it from their laptop. The thumbnail images were displayed in a web browser and when clicked they would show the full size image.

The same can be done by burning the files to a CD.

Others have prints at A5 size of their images on a good quality card stock and present them similar to using flash cards.

I'm not speaking from personal experience, just from talking to some people in the Nashville area that are graphic artists.

Getting an interview is up to you
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Bill, I couldn't think of the word portfolio! hahahahahaha

So what program is the best to use? (Please don't say PowerPoint!)
    -=Bob=-

I personally do not like PowerPoint, so I would never recommend it

Do you have any experience with html?

If not, you could try some of the WYSIWYG html editors that are available to create a web interface. Coffee Cup isn't very expensive and I have read some very good reviews about it.

You may want to do a google search for 'thumbnail creation' or something similiar.

I think a well designed web interface to display thumbnails that can be used a links to display larger versions of the image would be one way to begin. It can be put on CD and snail mailed to perspective employers/customers.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Quote Originally Posted by -=Drifter=- View Post
    I am curious as to the best way to walk into a graphics company and show them some of the vector graphics a person has made.
    Is there some prg that you can use to make thumbnails and then open the full pic when clicked on?
    Would this prg and all the pics then be burned onto a cd or dvd?
    Would the prg be able to play on the company’s hardware?
    Would it be better to do this all of this on a website and simply give the company the url?
    Would the same prg be used?
    I made up a html file with Webstyle Photo Album to show you what was possible and tried to send you a PM with the folder containing some of your tools but it seems that one can't attch file with that system and your standard e-mail is no permissin to do so . Any ideas the folder is to big to attach here.

just thought of this try this url. remember this was a quickie. It may not be what you were after but give it a try.
    funny the url should be underlined. i will try writing it again. note uppercase on Bob's_Tools

http://www.warden.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Bob's_Tools.html

still no joy you will have to copy and paste if you want to see it.
    Last edited by parahandy; 05 October 2006 at 09:38 PM. Reason: url not underlining

Thank you Norman. That was so nice of you to do. The url worked fine and that prg looks great. Only problem is that I don't have Webstyle and can't afford it right now.
    I just made a slideshow with XnView. While it doesn't have thumbnails for preview the slideshow does run very smoothly. It produces an exe. file.
    I am going to look today for another thumbnail/pic displayer.

Thanks for your input, Bill. I learned html several years ago and proudly made my own website with MANY pages. However, memory is tricky and I have not kept this html knowledge fresh and hence forgot most of it. One of these days I would like to study it some more. I do happen to have CoffeeCup, btw, and while their products have grown to now include wysiwyg editors, I would prefer the html mark up.
    -=Bob=-

Ok Bob I can take it off my web site now. I used to do my own website setup using Netscape composer, no knowledge of html was required at the early stages, one just loaded the text in and inserted pictures, simple buttons for links or small text link gif animations were all handled with ease. From that I soon learned to adjust the source code to manipulate things better. In fact my present day website is part Webstyle, part netscape composer , a bit of dreamwaver. Netscape composer was compatible with Webstyle 4 but not the other way round changes made with netscape composer were not understood with Webstyle. Anyway glad you found another way to do it.
    .Norman

Wow! I was just playing with XnView. Not only does it make slideshows, but better yet, for my needs, it actually creates an entire web page of image collections - starting with thumbnails. It does this in under a minute!
    I am totally impressed!
    -=Bob=-