Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Xara 3D 6 and Vista RC1

Has anyone tried installing Xara 3D 6 in Windows Vista RC1? I would like to hear about your experience.

THANKS!

Default Re: Xara 3D 6 and Vista RC1

That's one cow I won't be putting in my barn for at least a year (conservative estimate).
    Last edited by Big Frank; 16 April 2009 at 12:22 PM.
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Smile Re: Xara 3D 6 and Vista RC1

Quote Originally Posted by Big Frank View Post
    That's one cow I won't be putting in my barn for at least a year (conservative estimate).
    Well, thanks for voicing your personal preference re: installing Vista RC1 on your PC. However, RC1 will be long gone before even this year is over and the full public release version will be well on it's way. You obviously have some reason(s) to base your opinion/preference upon, but I happen to have Vista RC1 installed and I am enjoying every minute of it as well as being able to contribute to helping Microsoft make it better.

Now..... back to the original question which I asked, if that is possible? Does anyone know if Xara3D 6 is compatible with Vista RC1? No doubt, Xara is working on a version that will be 100% compatible with Vista if this current version is not. However, I am interested in the compatiblity of Xara 3D 6.0.

Hi Pilgram,

It's been awhile since we heard from you.

I haven't installed the Vista RC1 or even the Beta 2. Haven't had the time to upgrade one of my home computers to handle it.

I wouldn't expect any problems running Xara3D6 or Xara Xtreme on the OS although it may need to be under and Administrator account. The new eye candy look isn't an impediment to programs running, but the bizarre security settings as default can be troublesome to non Admin accounts.

Microsoft has gotten so gun shy about security they add so many security options and turn them all on by default it's a wonder that a person can get the darn thing to boot.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Hiya Bill,

Well, I'm more the "silent" type but I do read most all the threads/comments here often. I guess the only sure way to find out if Xara 3D is compatible is to go ahead and install the thing.

You are 100% correct about the security issue. I have found that to be an annoyance, albeit a small one. I read somewhere that there is a "hack" to disable the security prompt(s) in Vista, but I haven't had the time or interest to track it down. Since I'm dual booting with XP, the Vista install is simply a temporary one. I am really enjoying playing with it, getting myself acquainted with it enough to help out any of my clients who eventually install it and to submit bug reports to Microsoft for everyone's benefit.

At this point, Vista is going to be a worthwhile improvement, IMHO, although the high cost even for the upgrade version of the "Ultimate Edition" may dampen its appeal. I'll report back after my attempt to install it later on.

Let me know how things work. We will be replacing many of the older desktop computers and Vista will probably be the OS that comes with the new ones.

Do you know if the CD for Beta2 will do a clean install or do you have to use it to upgrade XP?

If it will do a clean install I can pop a larger hard drive in one of my computers and go from there. I just don't like the idea of having to install XP then do the upgrade to Vista just to try it out.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Quote Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
    Well, thanks for voicing your personal preference re: installing Vista RC1 on your PC.
    It's my pleasure. I'm delighted you are delighted with your pre-release of the next Windows. But not everybody is blissfully unaware of the real and potential problems with Vista and it would be a shame not to use this opportunity to point out some of its fatal flaws which, being at RC1, it is almost too late to iron out now:

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1932935,00.asp

Here's where I am coming from: In January 2006, Microsoft shipped the first security patch for Vista and that's a year before its release!! "it is clear that the poorly designed 'SetAbortProc,' the function that allows printing jobs to be cancelled, was ported over to Vista". It is hinted that Microsoft Vista will come out in no less than eight (!) versions. Why??? Vista will nevertheless sell because most computer users use the OS bundled with their Dell - but that doesn't make it good, it just makes it popular. McDonalds is popular, but it's nothing more than cholesterol, sugar and salt fodder for the masses. Then there are headlines like "Eugene Kaspersky of Kaspersky Labs predicts a rootkit for Vista within a year of release", "AV firms rubbish MS Vista security claims" and more (AV firms, although they have a Vista axe to grind, have considerably more expertise in AV than Microsoft, whose record in PC security is lamentable). And even one of the world's greatest fans of Microsoft and Windows, Paul Thurrott, said this on his site winsupersite.com: "the vast majority of new end user features in Windows Vista are already available to you - most of them for free, no less - in Windows XP. And by skipping Windows Vista, at least for the time being, you'll be left with a PC that is faster, more compatible with the software and hardware you own, and just about as capable as an otherwise identical PC running Windows Vista".

And those are just some of the reasons I will not be installing X3D6 on Windows Vista (whatever release), because I won't be touching Windows Vista with a barge pole until I have a compelling reason to do so. "Because it's new" isn't one of them.
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Frank,

I personally didn't update any of my home PCs with XP until about 3 months ago. None of it's features were adequate to qualify as a reason to update.

Because of all the problems in Vista and I know I will have to support it here at work. I think I need as much time to find all the "gotchas" and how to correct them before being swamped with 80 or 90 desktops all at once.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Bill,

Here's the results of installing Xara3D 6 on Vista RC1. It installed without even a whimper. I've created just a few simple graphics and then saved them to the Desktop. On saving screensavers, the first attempt worked fine. When I made a few changes and then tried to overwrite the saved file, the program went into the infamous "Not responding" mode for about 10 seconds and then recovered with the new file saved. So, there appears to be a small anomaly but it doesn't seem to have any negative affects. The screensavers and animated graphics display just fine with Vista.

RE: installing Vista. Since this is a bit off-topic, I'll make this brief. Here's what I have done. I have a 250 gig HDD to work with. I created a new 80 gig partition, chose "V" for the drive letter and labeled it "Vista" for easy reference. I then ran the Vista "setup" from within XP (you can also boot with the DVD to install it) and simply chose "V" as the desired partition. The installation was quick and easy, much to my delight. So, now I have a dual-boot configuration, created automatically at installation. Vista is the default O/S on bootup and using the up/down arrow keys I can choose either Vista or XP.

To uninstall Vista, a special routine needs to be run so as to remove the Vista boot module since it uses a totally different method than XP, which will then restore the regular boot.ini process and allow XP to boot as before. If you are interested in that "routine", and/or any other information re: Vista RC1, either PM or e-mail me and I'll share that with you, since again, it is definitely off-topic here.

Quote Originally Posted by Soquili View Post
    I personally didn't update any of my home PCs with XP until about 3 months ago.
    Me too! I still have a Win2k laptop and a Win2k file server. I'm also still running MacOS 10.3.9 on my iMac because I fail to see why a few dashboard widgets should make me want to fork out for Tiger. However, Leopard might be a different thing, but once again I won't be in the rush to get a copy when it comes out. Let them fix the bugs first and we'll evaluate to see if it gives any productivity boost.
    Avoiding Manual Labour.