Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lightbulb Need Performance Comparision To 'AGG'

Can anyone from the Xara team add a performance comparision graph to the one at http://www.xaraxtreme.org/about/performance.html that would show the performance along with the free 2D C++ vector library 'AGG'. It can be obtained at http://www.antigrain.com.
    IP

Default Re: Need Performance Comparision With 'AGG'

...if you cannot do this, please, explain why not?..
    IP

Default Re: Need Performance Comparision To 'AGG'

Xara states that "Xara Xtreme is the world's fastest vector drawing program, by a huge margin. This is partly due to using the world's fastest vector rendering engine and partly due to the inherent Xara X architecture." Do you dispute this?
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.
    IP

Default Re: Need Performance Comparision With 'AGG'

Hi Arlen,

I haven't seen any of the developers or Xara employees around the forum for a few days. They may not have seen your post.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

Really, why should anyone care if the Xtreme library is faster than library X or vice-versa? It's what you do with it that counts.

Paul
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    Really, why should anyone care if the Xtreme library is faster than library X or vice-versa? It's what you do with it that counts.
    Paul
    Well, rendering speed does assist the artist doing his or her work. I've used Illustrator, Freehand, Inkscape, CorelDRAW!, and none of them do what Xara Xtreme does with such speed and grace. Some of the work I do is at this site:

http://yantrayoga.typepad.com/noname/

Take a look... each drawing was produced in just a few minutes, many coming from inspiration, intuition. Enjoy.

The developers seem to be at a lull, on vacation, maybe. <smile>

frank
    Last edited by fjgaude; 01 October 2006 at 09:50 PM.
    IP

Hi Soquili.
    Thank you for your response.

Hi guys,
    The point is I'm a developer and the web page mentioned above shows the rendering speed of the several graphical engines. Now, I'm at the point of choosing the fast rendering engine for my needs. The AGG is the very powerful and fast open source library that allows developers to create stunting vector drawing programs. The AGG is as famous as the Cairo library is. So, why not to compare them both? The Xara CDraw engine is the alternative for me but before I choose I want to know the performance comparision. I do not want to clone or create a program similar to XaraXtreme. I just need this for my personal needs.

Best wishes and regards.
    IP

Several people on Talkgraphics use several illustration programs and I have no doubt that every one of them will say that Xara is the fastest illustration program out there - whichever way you look at it.

Given that is the case, you'd have to be a poor developer to turn the same library into a slow implementation, if you get my drift.

I don't see that there's any compunction on Xara to produce any comparison - they have enough other things to do!

Paul
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Big Frank View Post
    Xara states that "Xara Xtreme is the world's fastest vector drawing program, by a huge margin. This is partly due to using the world's fastest vector rendering engine and partly due to the inherent Xara X architecture."
    Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    Several people on Talkgraphics use several illustration programs and I have no doubt that every one of them will say that Xara is the fastest illustration program out there - whichever way you look at it.
    Who needs actual data when you have such reliable anecdotal evidence?

In regards to using CDraw in your own project I thought it was still closed source and the only timeline given for opening it has been 'soon'? Given that it seems like if you want to make any progress on your own project it would be better to choose another rendering engine.
    Jed
    IP

Another topic of note is that the CDraw that will be opensourced might be slightly different than the version that's used for Xara on windows, as that version has some portions coded in Assembler, but the version used by the linux Xara is C for portability.

So, if the version that they opensource is the full C version, it will be a bit slower than the windows Xara (which is I think the version mentioned in the benchmarks on the Xara page).

On the other hand, if you're concerned about it you could always write your own wrapper classes around AGG's classes so that you only have one point of change if you later decide to use CDraw when it's open sourced.
    This signature would be seven words long if it was six words shorter.
    IP