Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: "Something is askew"

I think I may have narrowed down the problems I've been having. I realized that the PNG file I create in Photo SHop reads as 240x180 (for example), but after going through the steps in Ilustrator the size of the WMF image is 667x492. :befuddled
    is that what should happen? Or am I making a mistake somewhere? :doh:

Sorry, I cannot help you with that one I do not use photoshop.

Unhappy Re: "Something is askew"

OK...learning more and more all the time
    When I open a perfectly round WMF image into 3D6, it turns out to be more of an oval (wider width than height).
    Is there something that I can do to have it open exactly as I made the WMF, ie, perfectly round???

If you are creating your circle in Adobe Illustrator then import it into Xara3D6 you will see an oval.

Adobe Illustrator is still using the very much outdated 72 pixels per inch (ppi) for creating graphics.

Xara3D6 uses the Windows default of 96 ppi.

Screen pixels are slightly taller than they are wide so when a 72 ppi image is imported into a program that uses 96 ppi there is a distortion of the proportions. You see an oval in place of a circle.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Quote Originally Posted by Soquili View Post
    If you are creating your circle in Adobe Illustrator then import it into Xara3D6 you will see an oval.

Adobe Illustrator is still using the very much outdated 72 pixels per inch (ppi) for creating graphics.

Xara3D6 uses the Windows default of 96 ppi.

Screen pixels are slightly taller than they are wide so when a 72 ppi image is imported into a program that uses 96 ppi there is a distortion of the proportions. You see an oval in place of a circle.
    So what should I use to create the WMF?
    And is the pixel per inch issue with Illustrator the reason every one of my WMFs get "squished" when opened in 3D6?

I just exported a circle from Illustrator 10 to a .wmf file and imported into Xara3D and it is still a circle. No 'squishing'

So, now I'm confused
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Does 3D6 retain user settings even after being closed? I wonder if i set something for a graphic and that setting is still active...
    When I import the WMF, the text control bar reads "FIT TO WIDTH". Could that be the problem????

Fit to Width is the default setting. Settings are saved with each project file. If you saved a new default.x3d file that may have some settings that are not the same as the initial installation.

Can you post portions of screen grabs from Illustrator and the same object imported as a .wmf in Xara3D6? Enough to show the difference in the shapes will do, a full screen shot isn't necessary.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Something else worth investigating is the Defaullt file that comes with Xara3D6 (with the Xara3D logo if I remember correctly) has some kerning settings or line spacings set other than 100.

I'll attach a xara3D file here with just a circle (on my computer) and you can download it and see what it looks like on yours.

Egg
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 04 October 2006 at 04:26 AM.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

OK...where to begin....
    1) I don't know how to do screen shots like that you are asking for. LOL (But maybe a quick tutorial would help.
    2) The file from Egg opened up perfectly round. I did notice the settings on the TEXT bar are different.
    I will try another circle and see if I correct the settings on the text bar before opening the WMF will make a difference.

I'll get back to ya soon.

Cheers,
    Pipe Guy