Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Talking (*) New Site, Tips And Requests (*)

Hi.

I've just set up my NEW graphics site at www.freewebs.com/jamesg596.

Now I'll admit it's certainly not PRO and either are the graphics, but it's OK for what I need.

Please check it out - any critique and tips for improvement are welcome.

If there's anything on there you like then just e-mail me etc. and I'll see if I can help you

P.S. - I also do graphics requests - for more info, visit my site...

Default Re: (*) New Site, Tips And Requests (*)

Hello jamesg596, welcome to Talkgraphics.
    any critique and tips for improvement are welcome.
    Well, for a start: Main 2 things:

You layout should be continues, meaning that the same menu is best to appear in each page. When I click the home page I should be linked to your home not your host. If you want a link to your host put a banner or a link.

2. Loose the background it disrupts the reading. Either make it completely black or you can make a small pattern. White text on white pattern is not good.

3. Red color doesnt read well on black. Try Green.

4. Your request form is totally unordered. It's best to align it a bit, preferably to the center (my point of view). Same goes for your guestbook.

5. Your gallery does not have the option of returning to previous/home page. The only option is using the browser "back" button.

Regards,

Availor.

I agree with the post above.

I recommend you use a table to put the site on a page - I offer graphics on my site and if you take a look at my site you'll see it with a white page centered, where I have posted a blue background color you could use your background. If you need the html I used PM me and I'll send it to you.

My site url is www.cheapcoverz.com (This is provided only to point out my explaination)

If anyone would like to comment on my site design please do so, I know there are some pages missing as this is a new site and is still work in progress

Thanks

Roger

I have only two comments for you:

Your site is clean and simple, but has broken links.

1. I'd use padding from the right and left your text seems as if it's being swallowed into the background.

2. If you want to draw attention to your text, making it such a big letters only distracts attention.
    you can use div tags or tables with small borders or light color.

Here are two examples: Look for yourself which one is a better one to read and understand.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    This big text is actually harder to read than a small one and distracts your attention
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Now on the contrary, if you use:

Welcome to my site, my site contains great deal of good stuff.
    Please visit my free stuff you can see it here.
    This text is nicer to view.

Last edited by Availor; 30 September 2006 at 02:41 PM. Reason: misspelled some words

Hi, jamesg596,

Speaking as one of the world's laziest web surfers . . .

I prefer to see more of the important stuff above the fold, tend to become annoyed when I'm forced to scroll around unnecessarily. A bit of layout reorganization would have improved the situation.

Whenever I see underlined text, I expect a link. When I don't, I wonder if something's missing.

The wing thingies sprinkled across the background distract me from the text, not only because they're so bright, as Availor noted, but also because they don't contribute any meaning. I find my (admittedly ADHD) self wondering, gee, what are those? instead of focusing on what your site has to offer.

On the other hand, I applaud you for passing my 5.2 Seconds Rule -- which refers to the maximum amount of time I want to spend figuring out how to navigate a site. (excepting the flaws pointed out previously on this thread)

Good luck!
    Rebecca