Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Default Re: Designing a logo

Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    Well after submitting a number of different layouts the decision is to go for the simple crescent with ACT inside and storage in the space of the crescent... sorry nothing exciting..... I did post a number of latest drafts at http://www.actstorage.com/logos.html.
    Can anyone let me know how to change the crescent's colour so that it is "shiny" as is present in the submission buttons on this forum? This might add a little more texture to the crescent.
    Andy
    Color wouldn`t make it more shiny?
    And in the workbooks there are enough examples on how
    to make designs appear to be more shiny.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	act storage final(edited).JPG 
Views:	166 
Size:	12.9 KB 
ID:	30804  
    Last edited by ankhor; 19 October 2006 at 01:52 PM.
    IP

I'm afraid for me the colour or shininess isn't going to raise those designs at all. I'm dumbfounded that the cresent variations could win out against some of the ideas mentioned here. Andy the contrast between your own logo and that for ACT Storage is immense. I think it's time I bow out of this thread. Good luck.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    I'm afraid for me the colour or shininess isn't going to raise those designs at all. I'm dumbfounded that the cresent variations could win out against some of the ideas mentioned here. Andy the contrast between your own logo and that for ACT Storage is immense. I think it's time I bow out of this thread. Good luck.
    Come on, it wasn`t a contest, it was firing idears for a logo.
    And if the customer is satisfied, who are we to argue?
    I see a lot of people with hairdoes (don`ts?) or clothes
    where I really think, what were they thinking, but it is their choice.
    If I had any say in the design of human kind I would have had
    some pointers to mention too, but I didn`t design it and had no choice.
    (except not to multiply the design myself)
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by ankhor View Post
    Come on, it wasn`t a contest, it was firing idears for a logo.
    I'm not arguing - even if it were a contest, I didn't submit any entries, so there was no chance for me to win.

AndyD: which designs did you offer to your friend?

AndyDs friend can choose whichever design they wish,as can AndyD choose which designs to put forward. I just think it's spectacularly the wrong choice!

Anyway, that's life as they say.

Paul
    IP

I'm not arguing - even if it were a contest, I didn't submit any entries, so there was no chance for me to win.

AndyD: which designs did you offer to your friend?

AndyDs friend can choose whichever design they wish,as can AndyD choose which designs to put forward. I just think it's spectacularly the wrong choice!

Anyway, that's life as they say.

Paul

I forgot that option, still, even if he proposed just that option
    the other party still could have refused it, they didn`t, as far as I know.
    And I did participate I couldn`t win because there was nothing to win.
    (except some good URL`s from BF with some very good advices on the subject)
    IP

I think that most of us are winners on the thread. I've certainly taken notice of the advice given here and will bear it in mind for the future. It has been entertaining and informative.

Happy customers: I was once asked to complete an "almost complete" business website for an aquaintance. The site had been built by a family member (for free) who no longer had time to complete it. I said I would, but when I saw it I was pretty shocked that anyone would be happy to represent the business with what had been built.

I offered to complete the original website for free, provided nobody was ever told I had anything to do with it; alternatively I offered a different design (shown as a mockup) that I could do and they would be charged for it. They chose the alternative despite it costing them money.

So that's an instance of a 'happy' customer deciding he really wasn't happy one he'd been given an alternative.

I wasn't entirely happy with the completed website since it had (at my clients insistence) to incorporate a lot of (tedious, boring) content from the old site, but that was their choice.

Paul
    Last edited by pauland; 19 October 2006 at 02:28 PM. Reason: spelling and lost sentences!
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by ankhor View Post
    The answer to this at least for a few of the people here is "a professional designer".

I've worked a number of jobs in the digital realm, from designer to programmer to multiple levels of manager but the greatest difference I experienced was in my move from designer to developer.

As a designer I would sit in a meeting with a client and they would tell me what they wanted. I would show them options and they would make suggestions to "improve" my work; suggestions that more often than not were asinine and detrimental to the design. I would try to explain why that was a bad course of action and after some work would usually steer them back where they needed to be. Sometimes this took me making the changes they asked for and then putting the design into a mock-up environment that would reveal the problem I was attempting to avoid. If I didn't push for what was right most of those clients would of chosen inferior designs.

As a developer I would sit in meetings with a client, show them the product they were having built and they would make suggestions to "improve" the work and (depending on what it was) would get a reason why that would or would not work and they would generally reply. "OK".

The point to this is, EVERYONE thinks they can design. EVERYONE thinks they know what looks good. They don't. As a designer you should be thinking of much more than just "this looks good" or "I like that color" You should be considering printing, reproduction at different sizes, limited color printing, what does it look like on the side of a truck, what does it look like on business card, will it grow with the company, does the logo convey the spirit of the company either in what it produces, who it's target market is or the personality of the company (a big win is when it does all three). If your not considering these things I'd argue you're not a designer but a graphics producer.

It is imperative that you do not show a client ANY design that you yourself don't think is good enough. Never take a bad design. They will choose it. Never give a client more than 3 designs to choose from. They will pick the weakest. Some designers will go up to 5 but I feel it is my job to weed out the chaff for my client and to read the needs of the client better than that. Don't use the shotgun approach with a client, you won't like what you hit.

"Who are we to argue?" people that do (or should) know better. While not speaking to the logo's visual merit either way, try and fit that design on a business card and the side of a truck. Put it on a page footer and a website. Look at it in a full color and black and white. Try and make a newspaper help wanted ad with the logo at the bottom..... That will be a very difficult logo to work with and that alone is reason to "argue".

J
    IP

I just want to clear up a possible misunderstanding here with Ankhor. The above (earlier) post was refering to the list of designs by AndyB (http://www.actstorage.com/logos.html) and contrasting those with that of AndyBs company - Orange House (a logo I do like).

I realise that Ankhor may have thought I was referring to his post. Sorry Ankhor.

Paul
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Skeesick View Post
    The answer to this at least for a few of the people here is "a professional designer".
    Fine, but he didn't hire one to begin with.
    I he did that person would have argued, but
    it is at is is now.
    IP

I may agree with everything is said about clients frequently choosing the weakest design (I'm having a problem now with a Web client who wants her pages optimized for 800 x 600 resolution, even though people who can't afford a decent monitor probably can't afford her products, either).

However, I also admit if I can't talk her out of it, I will do what she wants, because ultimately, it is her money. If I don't take pride in it, I simply do not put any identifying information on it, no link to webmaster, etc. But I will cash her checks.

That aside, Andy had asked about making the image shiny. Here I used some of the techniques Gary Priester shared about gels to add gloss to the crescent.
    ---
    Will
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Act-Logo-2-WMHP.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	13.2 KB 
ID:	30806  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    IP