Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Tips on making a website

Quote Originally Posted by The Alien View Post
    Who needs wysiwyg HTML editors anyway?
    Those of us who don't code and have no time to start learning it.

I use NetObjects Fusion, and I'm very happy that it's wysiwyg. Create graphics in Xara and just plug them in. I don't use Xara's navbar tool because I want the automatic links available through NOF or the flexibility of AllWebMenus. However, all button images are made or modified in Xara.

Thanks Big Frank, going by the response to MS gear i take it its not worth looking at the new replacements for frontpage that Mr Gates is bringing out soon?

Thanks to eveyone for their help, my favorites folder is fit to bust! Its nice to see help is there for the asking.I'm off to download the Bluevoda and afew others and just play for a while.As for the books im still on the look-out for a click by click layout but promise to try and learn the HTML thingy Take it easy B.M>

Default Help on starting a web site

You have a thread going regarding this topic: http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?t=23385

Merging this and Availor's posts to it.
    Last edited by RTK; 29 September 2006 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Duplicate threads

Default Re: Help on starting a web site

Hello Button Monkey, welcome in.

I can advise you to take 4 days off to learn CSS and HTML. That's the time I was needed to learn it all.

follow the tutorials and write the code. I've bought this book:
    http://www.sitepoint.com/books/cssant1/ from amazon.com

Trust me, it will take you much more time learning by trying to use "simple" and "easy" solutions. Eventually you will get yourself annoying when something is not going right and you'll only find out you need to learn coding.

I'm talking out of personal experience. There are plenty of great learning sites, I'e compiled a link table in HERE.

First of all, let me emphasize that HTML is NOT CODE! It is "markup" and it is basically very simple to learn.

I never recommend WYSIWYG editors without having at least a basic knowledge of the underlying markup that they generate. Take a few hours and head over to W3 Schools, and read "Learn HTML", the first item in the left navbar.

IMHO, learning to use a particular WYSIWYG editor can take as long or longer than simply learning HTML and writing your markup with a simple text editor like Notepad. Once you become relatively proficient, then you might choose a WYSIWYG editor to speed things up a bit. Remember that if you just learn to use one particular WYSIWYG editor, that's all you'll know and you'd almost have to start from scratch to learn to use a different WYSIWYG editor.

My 2 cents,
    Lonnie

Thanks for the help Availor.I've clicked my way through this top list of sites and spent way too long on some of them.The photoshopforce site has some of the easiest tuts to follow.The HTML.net site is so easy going that im starting on code,sorry "mark up" (thanks LonK)and plan to try one from scratch.Thanks once again to you and the rest of the forum,good luck with your future designs i'll keep an eye out on the site from time to time.B.M.