Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Exclamation HELP! with cutting things out

So i have a picture lets say and another picture. I use the rectangle section around the pic i want and drag it to the other one. Now i would switch to the lasso one and be able to cut around it. Now when i drag it over and then lasso parts it turns white in the background instead of trasparent. Can someone help me on why this is happen and/or how to fix it. Also i have Corel Painter 8 and i have a Mac OSX
    IP

Default Re: HELP! with cutting things out

Hi,

It'll be easier to explain this if we work with a specific example so I'll make up one.

Let's pretend you have a landscape photo and another photo with a barn in it that you want to add to the landscape photo.

1. Open the landscape photo.

2. Open the barn photo and make a precise selection around the barn.

3. When you're happy with the selection, use Select > Save Selection and give it a descriptive name. You'll see the saved selection appear in the Channels palette as an Alpha Channel.

4. Save your barn photo in RIFF format so you won't lose your work and the saved selection/Alpha Channel.

5. Click the F key to activate the Layer Adjuster tool.

6. Hold down the Alt/Option key and click with the Layer Adjuster tool inside the selection to lift a duplicate of the barn to a Layer. We'll refer to this as the barn Layer.

7. With both images positioned on the Painter screen so you have the barn photo in front and you're able to see the landscape photo behind it, click and drag the barn Layer onto the landscape photo and let go.

8. Minimize the barn photo image so it's out of the way.

9. Working on the landscape photo, click and drag the barn Layer to position it where you want.

John Derry just published a very good tutorial explaining how to make precise selections. You'll find his tutorial in several of the more active Painter forums. Here are the links to two of these forums:

CGTalk's Corel Painter Forum

Conceptart.org's Painter Forum

John's tutorial thread is named:

Shapes 3: The Shapes Path Tool as Precise Selection Tool

Have fun!
    Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley and The PainterFactory
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
    IP

Here is the problem i get that but then once it is on there i want to cut the shape out here is is the other dressage horse. My problem i use the lasso tool to cut around and when i press delete is comes up white. Do you know how i can fix this
    picture example- http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...ssagepicex.jpg
    IP

I have been trying to figure this out also....it's making me nuts!!!
    Did you ever figure out how to eliminate the white background???
    Please email me and post here if you do...
    IP

My guess is that you have the Canvas layer turned on (base layer), and that is the way that specific layer works. Layers above that can be transparent.

Rich
    IP

That was it...............THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I hope person who asked this question sees this reply...
    THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!
    IP