Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: "Help" Errors

"Help" Errors

Whenever I click "Help Topics" (Painter IX.5) I get hundred of error message windows. They bog down the whole computer, and I end up shutting the computer down to stop them.

I've tried the software on 2 computers with the same results. Both are running Windows XP Pro, with plenty of RAM and hard drive space.

This is brand new software that just arrived yestarday (9/25/06) from Corel.

Any suggestions from anybody out there?

Thanks,
    Dick
    IP

Default Re: "Help" Errors

I can only suggest you do a virus check. other than that I am clueless
    IP

Can you tell us what the error message says.

The help is in the form of HTML files so it could be your browser settings or the program is trying to access the internet and not being allowed to because of a firewall.

Christine
    IP

The error messages in the first 167 error windows say" Access Violation at address 03555AOC in module 039FA3DC"

Above error window 167, the Module number changes with each successive window.

It seems to stop after 267 error messages.

I get the same results on 2 different computers.

Anti-Virus updates are current, and the computers are not showing any virus. (Computers automatically update once a week, and automatically scan every night)

Thanks,
    Dick Parrish
    IP

Can you try opening the help file directly from explorer - the file is called painterhlp.chm and is in the help directory.

Other than contacting Corel to see if they have an answer the only thing I can suggest is uninstall completely - reboot - reinstall and see if that works. It sounds like a corrupt file somewhere.

Christine
    IP

Re: "Help" Errors

I contacted Corel customer service by email for help. They replied with no help at all because I have the Education Edition of the program.

I'm still well within the 30 day return window. If I can't solve this problem, I'll just return it and chalk it up to education about Corel.
    IP

Try disable your antivirus and do a fresh install. Antivirus programs have a tendency of corrupting some files.
    IP

Post your message on the Corel Painter IX newsgroup where people from Corel read and respond to messages (look for Imaging Dev and that'll be someone from the Corel Painter development team):

Add Server: cnews.corel.com

Subscribe to: c.PainterIX

Also you might want to send a clear and concise report directly to the Corel Painter development team at:

painterteam@corel.com

Include all of the details: the exact wording of the error message, your system specs, OS version number, etc. and anything else you think might help them figure out what's going on.

Good luck!
    Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley and The PainterFactory
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
    IP