Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default Next version of Xara Extreme

Hi everyone, very new to vector graphics and learning about Xara here in this great forum.

I read about Xara only importing Illustrator 8, and while being very capable, has some trouble with imports of newer file formats.

Is Xara going to be updating Extreme with a new version, (3.0?) soon? Is there some sort of beta going on now? What is the future of this product in terms of new generation programming, and what might be the timeline for such a new version release?

I've been tricked into staying with CRM and other software that was never really updated., so Im somewhat interested in this topic...

Thanks!

Default Re: Next version of Xara Extreme

Hi Tallis,

Welcome to the TG forums. Just take a look at the price of Xtreme and the price of Illustrator (I have the newest versions of both) and tell me who is tricking whom?

You will only understand this once you have really used Xara Xtreme, but if you're new to vector graphics (i.e. you're not an Illustrator power user) you have no yardstick at all against which to measure this. There are many workarounds for getting CS2 AI files into Xtreme until Xara come out with an effective import filter but if you're new to vector graphics I fail to see how this impacts on you.

If you want to know about software update timelines you'd better contact Xara direct - they raraely if ever reveal their intentions on here.

Keep playing with Xara Xtreme and keep watching these forums, you'll be amazed at the quality of artwork Xtreme is capable of in the right hands.
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

"Fail to see? "

Maybe I should have spelled more out but I had to run out the door in midsenetence almost. There are .ai, eps, wmf files posted on the internet, mostly in graphics sites, forums, etc., where people share their half-done ideas, creations, so on. I like to see what others are doing, not just the finished product, but the pieces along the way, so I try to open these. Many do open and they are vector clip-art that xara recognizes. Many come up as errors or just blank, still others popup a dialog indicating xara can not open photosop eps.

Are there workarounds for these cases where newer illustrator and other programs are used to save these files, and I can't open any > than v8 files, just as one example? Are there a few "go-to" small utilities that convert between formats I need to know about? Are there open source utilities that convert between various vector ( & possibly raster ) formats?

Regarding the next version, many companies have betas that follow the release of a product. V2 of Xara has apparently gone through many point releases, and I was wondering then, that this leads one to think that there's been a v3 in the works now that 2 has undergone several point iterations, and I wasn't quite sure of what xara's typical product update cycle has been, that's all. ( i.e. is the open source v.7 for linux pulling resources away from a V3 windows, will v3 windows be also open source, etc )

Any other comments?

By the way, I've owned software where the support communities are quite literally like a funeral home. Quiet. Somber. Sparse comments. 3 months between responses to a thread, if there are indeed responded to. Hats off to all of you for maintaining such a family and momentun of interest.

You were saying?
    Last edited by Big Frank; 16 April 2009 at 12:22 PM.
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Yes we are working on the next version of Xara Xtreme. As I think I mentioned in a Xara newsletter a while back there are more people actively working on Xara Xtreme than for many, many years. A lot of effort over the past year has been put into Xara LX - the Linux version (which Windows users tend not to see), but we are working on new Windows versions as well.

But it's too early to say what features or when.

Xtreme is still pretty fresh imo, so I wouldn't expect a new version soon.
    I expected to see some patches first with that add to the program (like the svg export that Xara are working on, bugfixes etc.), and maybe a whole new version after x years?

Tallis,
    Don't have anything to add to Charles comments. You've heard it from the horses mouth, so to speak.
    Welcome to the forum!
    ron

wow a new version! any idea if it will be a price upgrade? (id definately pay!)

id have to say, the improvements on a win version would probably be best suited if we could have some sort of bugtracker or at least if youd apply issues that we all have had to do workarounds for... the app is so close to being the perfect vector app its almost unimaginable- yet the bugs and workarounds for seemably simple operations hold it back... i really hope you address them

thats all i can hope for. its such a perfect app too !

RonC

Thanks for all your (collective) comments. I'm not used to the Grand Pubah contributing to anything on public boards! All the software I've check support boards on basically had "can not confirm or deny" experts chiming in from time-to-time... For me, big change. Almost Xtreme.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallis View Post
    Thanks for all your (collective) comments. I'm not used to the Grand Pubah contributing to anything on public boards! All the software I've check support boards on basically had "can not confirm or deny" experts chiming in from time-to-time... For me, big change. Almost Xtreme.
    The next version will probably be Xara Xtraordinaire.
    Or Xara Xpanded.
    Or, maybe, after all the alleged bugs have been sorted: Xara Xonerated.
    Could be an interim version, Xara Xplore or even Xara Xplode.
    Maybe a pro version, Xara Xecutive.
    How about an adults-only version, Xara Xplicit?
    Or a see-through version, Xara X-ray?
    Maybe it will be combined with X3D to form Xara Xtrude.
    Who cares, so long as we don't have Xara Xit ...
    "Intbel" ... "Can't" is not an option.

Compliance is futile. Resistance is futile. Just do your own thing an' ignore 'em.