Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Nice job Tek and Miress.

Tek, an easy way to make an umbrella shape is to start with a cone primitive, reduce the number of rotation segments, scale to size, use a spherify deformation, Delete the polys on the bottom.

Cool stuff you guys...

Here's my first ever umbrella... needs some better texturing and rendering still, as this is still in my modeling app , but... thought I would show it anyways
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	umbrella1.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	36.5 KB 
ID:	17481  

Some good looking umbrellas Guys! Since this seems to be the topic for today, I tried my hand and using splines and nurbs in C4d to make one Just a quick doodle, so lighting and textures are minimal.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	umbrella1.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	19.6 KB 
ID:	15456  
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Hi guys, really good topic today and really good models from you. Yeah, I like topic like this

Gidgit, nice for detail, hm, I like the ends of fabric by fillet, hm it is real. I must repair my ubrella .
    miress
    [you see it]

@miress - Thank you for the description of how you made your umbrella. I can understand your english just fine! I'm a beginner too that's why I'm taking Randy's class and learning a lot as well as learning additional things here.

@Mike Baily - Thank you for the tips on the cone. I'm going to have to look up that spherify tool.

@gidgit - I like your umbrella, it's very nice. I like how the fabric bends towards the support pieces at the tips. That was another thing I wanted to do with mine.

@Soquili - Nice umbrella for a quick doodle!

I think I'll try remodelling parts of my umbrella soon. Got other stuff I have to work on today in RL before I can play again.

-Tek

Hi Teknal,

Thanks. It took me less than 5 minutes to do the doodle. Made a B-Spline and dropped it into loft nurb for the cover, set it to 8 segments. Copied the B-Spline and added a small diameter circle in a sweep nurb, then dropped that into an array. A simple tall skinny cylinder for the push braces. Made a linear spline for the shaft and handle, dropped it into a sweep nurbs with a small diameter circle. A short cylinder made editable and extruded the top sections for the thing that slides up and down the shaft with the push braces. Copied the linear spline and deleted the top point so I had only the handle, bumped up the diameter of the circle for the handle. Dropped in a few simple materials and some lights.

Took longer to describe how simple it was than actually doing it.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Thanks Soquili, appreciate the desciption, the lofting for the fabric makes sense too. I like being able to see different ways of modelling the same object.

-Tek

Thanks guys, I appreciate the kind words, but in all reality... I kinda think that though my fabric may be ok, that your guy's method of achieving this here object is the more pure way to go for object integrity... let me explain...

I basically took a sphere, loopcut the top off, did a intrude to shell the remaining bottom out while adding slight thickness for fabric... then selected the vertical edge loops, did a slight bevel so as to end up with small segments running up the sides, then did a slight extrude on these to gain the ribs as it were... and that's where the integrity issues come into play...

as the ribs and the fabric are all one model body, the the fabric gains the nice effect from subdividing, but the cost is that the ribs, because they were slightly extruded out front and inside, are actually more rectangular than square before subding... aha..

I mean you really don't see it when viewing as it is a fairly small area in amongst such bigger stuff, and things did sort of round out when subding... and thus one wouldn't actually notice such discrepencies... looks like an umbrella to me, sort of thing.... but ya really couldn't use this as info to manufacture such eh... hehe

Whereby on the other hand... this method done by Bill, and from the looks of it, miress, would seem to be the more exacting route to take for a quality umbrella... just maybe move some of the bottom edgesand verts, up from center out, along the bottom edge on your subdivided fabric area to gain said effect... you know?

anyways, great exercise, and yes indeed, it is always very cool to observe different methods applied to a similar model...

thanks for the break down on that Bill Geez but you all are certainly rock'n with this modeling stuff...