Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

This one is driving me up the wall.
    I'm using version 9.0, Draw and Photopaint. What I am trying to do is: by use of the magic wand masking tool in Paint, I select the part of the photo I want. It may be a single popcorn kernel or a logo. I am able to successfully select that image fine and move it around. But when i drag it into Draw, it is now surrounded by a white block. I have done this procedure successfully a few times, but I don't know how. I have tried editing the image in Draw and I can see it move freely against its grey and white checkerboard (in the edit mode), but I can't isloate it on my document. It is critical I get this procedure to use Draw.
    Please help me. I'm learning most of the suite easily, but this is crucial and I feel I'm just missing one simple detail.
    IP

This one is driving me up the wall.
    I'm using version 9.0, Draw and Photopaint. What I am trying to do is: by use of the magic wand masking tool in Paint, I select the part of the photo I want. It may be a single popcorn kernel or a logo. I am able to successfully select that image fine and move it around. But when i drag it into Draw, it is now surrounded by a white block. I have done this procedure successfully a few times, but I don't know how. I have tried editing the image in Draw and I can see it move freely against its grey and white checkerboard (in the edit mode), but I can't isloate it on my document. It is critical I get this procedure to use Draw.
    Please help me. I'm learning most of the suite easily, but this is crucial and I feel I'm just missing one simple detail.
    IP

When you bring it into Draw does the status line say group of two objects?
    If so, ungroup and then delete the white background bitmap and that should leave your cut out shape with no square/rectangle background.
    Hope this helps,
    Joe
    Joe
    http://www.therealperth.com
    An independent guide to Perth, Scotland
    IP

Thanks Joe.
    From reading another post from a while back, it seems the best way is to actually "import" the image. If I drag and drop, it cannot be ungrouped, but if I import it, it can be ungrouped. While this process is a bit longer (not to mention duplicating it in my hard drive), it seems as though it is the most dependable procedure.
    IP

When I want to bring a selection in from PhotoPaint to Draw, I create a new object from mask (your current selection), then save it as, or save copy as, a .cpt file. You can then import it into Draw with a transparent background.
    IP

Thanks Smorg, thats exactly what I do now also. It seems to work consistently well. Somehow i got lucky a few times when I would "drag" it in, but this is much more dependable and really very little more work. Thanks for the advice.
    IP