Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default My website layout

I'm posting links to my web layout I've made so it wont take your whole screen to view it.

I'm after a clean, readable, sexy look for my website, the purpose of which is selling video tutorials and other graphics. (described in THIS thread)

Please don't mind the awful pictures there it's just for me to see how it will look like when there is content inside of it.

Link1 - This is a simple CSS layout without any java/flash contents.
    Link2 - This is a a flash menu layout. The scroller box is made by CSS div tags (no frames).
    Link 3 - same as 2 but without the top menu bar.
    Link 4 - That's without the contents and scrollers, just plain CSS.

Your opinion will be mostly appreciated.

Default Re: My website layout

I prefer the appearance of link2.

I'd suggest going with link2 in pure CSS. Why bother with a mixed flash/htnl implementation. I tend either to make a html site, or a flash site, but I'd only embed flash into html as content, not navigation. I don't think the footer and header really match in style.

Whenever I make a website, I usually mock it up using Xara and get a decision based upon that. What I'm trying to say is that as a 'user' I don't care about the technology, but I do care about the appearance, layout, navigation, content etc., so I don't need to know the technologies involved to make a choice.

BTW, I have no idea what "Web Cruller" means .

Paul

Thanks for the reply.

1. Cruller is a sort of a doughnut http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cruller I meant to do something that goes well with a coffee when you watch my content (because there are many sites associated with coffee I wanted to go for the dessert)

2. I also like the second one, but something was bothering me with the layout as well (the heading turns out pinkish). Maybe the third one is good. I wanted white with light blue or green. What do you say?

I still prefer link2. I don't know if this will stay an english site, but I've never ever heard of a cruller before, so I guess I won't be alone and so the association would be lost. I think you'd need a graphic to make it work.

Unfortunately you're not getting much feedback - try doing a printout and ask amongst friends. I don't want to be the only one commenting on your stuff - you'll get a complex!

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    Unfortunately you're not getting much feedback - try doing a printout and ask amongst friends. I don't want to be the only one commenting on your stuff - you'll get a complex!

Paul
    Well I can try other forums as well, or maybe it will take a bit of a time.
    It is going to be an english only site since making it in Hebrew is toughter (requires right-to-left writing and special unicode coding) and much MUCH less productive - only 7m Israelies, 2M - or don't know how many have internet -, about several thousands who are interested in graphics... leaves me with nothing.

Thanks for the comments anyhow
    Last edited by Availor; 21 September 2006 at 08:52 PM.

2 is your best work from where I sit.

I would agree... #2

Gosh is just me but I like the clean simple lines of link 1. Is it just the Jpeg compression but there seems to be a pinkish hue travelling from the bottom up whish slightly spoils 2 & 3 for me. I am another person who has used Flash for navigation but I now prefer if I can to keep things simple and just use CSS if I can as the site loads so much quicker from page to page. Still having a few problems with one of my most recent sites wiith text not quite centering in Expl.7 but it can hardly be seen but I know it there.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Thank you for the comments.

I still can't make up my mind, I've changed those layouts. The header is blue now and I scraped it all... back to the drawing board.

That's the way of things. I once suggested 15 different designs to one customer.

Paul