Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default New to Forum and I'm Asking for Favours Already!

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post I've only just registered.

I got most of the Xara products but being a busy so and so I have to admit they have sat on the old PC untouched in the main! Now the time has come to speak of sealing wax and candles etc.

My boss at work wants me to create a website for him and he would like the words Design, Engineering, Knowledge rotating around another image (a bit like the old movie logo - I think it was the very old Paramount logo with the plane) at a cocked angle. Sort of circling the globe or an object, each word following the other in a curved or circular path - does this even make sense?

I have had a good look through 3D texts and I can get them to rotate and move and shimmy in everyway except in this one direction - I think.

My questions are:

1. Does everyone even understand what I am waffling about?

2. If you do, can someone point me to a good tutorial or walkthrough to recreate this type of rotating font. I do need to be able to do it myself (maybe I need to do some groundwork in Xtreme or something).

Thanks very much for your help in advance,
    David
    Last edited by David Strover; 15 September 2006 at 06:24 PM.

Default Re: New to Forum and I'm Asking for Favours Already!

Hello David, welcome to TalkGraphics.

Do you mean something like this?

I made it (bad quality for faster uploading) in Xara 3D6, or do you mean rotating around in 2D space?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	animation.gif 
Views:	263 
Size:	418.4 KB 
ID:	29699  

Hi, Availor, in spite of the low quality, your image is still interesting, would you like to share how you made it?

Cheers,

Mike

Hello Availor,

Thanks for the prompt reply. Yes that style of rotation but just the text and not the globe.

If you can let me know how to do this I would most grateful. My boss wants all sorts of different texts on the same line (despite my advice) but if I can get the effect he wants I can dissuade him from the different text idea.

He was also talking about images inbetween the three words as if bullet points seperating Design Engineering and Knowledge but different images for each 'point' as it were.

Any useful instructions will be most gratefully accepted!

Cheers,
    David

hehe I feel embaressed, mike , teaching you lol . I just picked a ready made style that's all. But you can achieve this by playing with bevel options.

I made it with Xara 3D6

Dave, I'm no expert in Xara 3D but I think I can figure out something... will have to sleep over it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	89.5 KB 
ID:	29700  
    Last edited by Availor; 15 September 2006 at 09:10 PM.

Thanks, Availor, what I was puzzled about was that your post seemed to show foreshortening of the text as it slipped around the edge of the globe, which I thought would be very hard to do properly, but on closer inspection, after your explanation, that actually only happens properly for the middle part of the text, not the ends, and that makes much more sense given how X3D applies textures.

Nevertheless, it works well, and I think it might be amenable to some doctoring to extend the effect. I shall have to do some experimenting

Cheers,

Mike

Ok I have found this old animation I made a long time ago. Imagine the text will be running instead of the circle running around the globe. I guess you are after a similar effect? http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y20...tingsphere.gif

Yup.

I recreated the first one you did thank you very much.

I reckon with this second one if I had a chromed globe in the middle with text running around the outside I'd have a pretty close effort to what he wanted.

Any instructions?

Once again - thanks very much for your help by the way - it is appreciated.

David

Do you have Xara 3D? I'll post you the file (have to find it yet or make another one)

Oh yes indeedy I have Xara3D6 and much to my shame it has sat on my PC as unused short cut icon for ages. Hence my lack of experience!