Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Is there a tutoral

Greetings all,
    was wondering if there is somekind of tutoral on how to make a imported design into a vector design so i can figure out how to get this design into Xara3D, i have been playing with it and Xara X for 2 days now and when i import it it just shows a square, i have saved it as a xar, emf, and a wmf, but they all turn out as a square, i have read most of the forum about it and tryed the thing you have talked about but i must not be understanding it.
    this is the design i wonted to import. any would be most thankful for any help.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: Is there a tutoral

Quote Originally Posted by Watcher View Post
    Greetings all,
    was wondering if there is some kind of tutoral on how to make a imported design into a vector design so i can figure out how to get this design into Xara3D, i have been playing with it and Xara X for 2 days now and when i import it it just shows a square, i have saved it as a xar, emf, and a wmf, but they all turn out as a square, i have read most of the forum about it and tryed the thing you have talked about but i must not be understanding it.
    this is the design i wonted to import. any would be most thankful for any help.
    Double clicking on the file from your link loads three big and two little gears in black/charcoal gray and medium gray. Is that what it's supposed to look like?

Double clicking on the file from your link loads three big and two little gears in black/charcoal gray and medium gray. Is that what it's supposed to look like?
    yes that is the xar file i made, or tryed to make in Xara X from a png picture i cut out in photoshop, tryed changing it in Corel, Xara X and cant get it to load as gears only as a rectanle box

Hello, Watcher, welcome to the forums. What you have done is import a bitmap image into XaraX, then exported the .xar file to Xara3D. But the shape in XaraX is still bitmap-based, and has not not been converted into an equivalent set of vector shapes. You need to draw the vectors yourself. I have drawn one gear over your image to show what I mean. I used the XaraX Quickshapes tool to make a 42-sided star, and some circles, which were added/subtracted to make the holes.

Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TestGear V.png 
Views:	359 
Size:	33.4 KB 
ID:	29659  

Thank you very much now i just need to play with it to figure it out and learn what im doing. thanks again

Mike your idea of making a 42 sided star solved a problem for me. I was drawing a car wheel and was having difficulties with spokes, I used your info and with chrome plugin came up with this. Thanks for the inspiration
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Yes!!! Thank you both, Norman and Mike! That is a great idea!!! ...using the quickshapes tool... For some reason that is one tool I don't use that much, but now clearly see I should more often.

Norman, Drifter, glad to be of help
    Yes, Quickshapes are very versatile, used either directly, as in gears in this instance, or sometimes to make temporary guideline shapes to help position other shapes in symmetrical arrangements.

Mike

just wonted to thank you simsmj and to show you what i came up with, now i have another question about it, how did you cut the holes in the gears did you use corel or Xara X. i could find no way to make holes in it in with Xara X. the colorful one is the one i made but it had about 15 layers because i could not figure out how to make holes so i scraped that idea till i can figure it out. hope you dont mind i used your gear and made the 2 little ones but like i said could not figure out how to make a hole in it
    heres what it looks like in motion
    http://worldofarkania.net/Downloads/...ewWatchers.gif
    Last edited by Watcher; 15 September 2006 at 05:18 AM.

That's very easy in Xtreme Watcher. Nice animation by the way, but very large file-size wise.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host