Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default PDF exports not correct

I just finished reading the thread about PDF imports but I'm having a problem with X3, 12 and 11 versions of CD. The pdfs that I create do not match a printout from native pgm (CD). The fonts are usually smaller and alignment on the page is different.

Does anyone have any solutions??? I've had to export CD file to .ai to allow my printshop to have an accurate version of the file. IE: 8 up labels — when printed out of .pdf file they do not line up on the page in the proper format for cutting. The top of the file is accurate but everything else moves up as all the text is smaller.

Thanks for any help.
    IP

Default Re: PDF exports not correct

I know that one thing that can throw a platemaker off and maybe it can have the same effect on .pdf: if you have objects grouped and then drag the edges to fit and do not ungroup, then everything inside the group is a percentage of the height and width of the group. It takes a lot more memory for the platemaker to figure all this out, and it can crash it.

If your grouping is at 100%, it does not matter.

However, it may be effecting the .pdf also. Try being sure that there is not a group at a percentage of size.
    Every day's a new day, "draw" on what you've learned.

Sally M. Bode
    IP

Sally,
    thanks so much for quick response. I'm not quite sure what you mean by group. But if you mean in CD itself then no. I'm cloning the first label to the other seven at precise locations on the page. I have 2 columns with 4 rows (not a table) that is just what it looks like. Each label is 2.75 high and when I clone/duplicate I have the nudge set to 2.75.
    IP

Well, none of that should influence the .pdf unless it isn't text, or is not a standard font.

Why use nudge, when you can copy and move with the transform palette and then use nudge for what you need it to do, move small increments to correct placement by eye.

Sally M. Bode
    IP

Well, Sally, I agree the .pdf should not be distorted but it is. I'm guessing no one else has had this problem!!! Surely wish I could find a solution. It's gonna make me learn AI and I really don't want to. Oh well!!!

Re: using transformations,,,, I find the nudge much faster and I don't need another docker opened as I have the nudge on my tool bar. Much easier just to change nudge size than mess with another docker window and start changing coordinates there. Just my way of doing it as I was not aware of 'transformation' when I started with CD3.0
    Last edited by inphoenix; 14 September 2006 at 04:28 PM.
    IP

Do you have another means of making .pdf? Download for a trial Acrobat Distiller which comes with Professional and see if it does the same thing.

It makes no sense and my condolences to you if you have to use Illustrator. It is amazing that people can draw in it if you ask me. It is a sad fact that the will to achieve supercedes the ability of the person to hinder them from doing so.

But it is slower to work in, without a doubt.

Sally M. Bode
    IP

Thanks for the reply,Sally.
    I do have Adobe Acrobat Pro. 7.0. Does that count? Or is that what is allowing the ability for CD to create a .pdf file? I'm pretty ignorant of these things.
    IP

It does seem odd that you have experienced this issue in three versions of Draw.

I rarely use PDF's and then not in a professional capacity, however. Once exported from Draw a PDF is just like any other PDF created from any other application, including Acrobat Writer. It has no link with Draw and is not a Draw PDF.

I mention this because it is not quite clear from your original post if your PDF's export properly, but don't print properly. If this is the case, it is unlikely to be a Draw issue but more likely an issue with the way the printer is handling the PDF. If this is the case a PDF created from AI will not perform any better.

Sark
    IP

Hello Sark,
    I have tried several different printer but, this should not be the problem as .pdf used the Adobe PDF driver to create the print file.

The only reason I've sucumbed to .ai is because the print shop I work with does not have CD but they do have AI.

I did print out the .ai file and in AI saved as .pdf and there the .pdf file page layout is smaller also. I looked for settings in the PDF driver and could not find anything that may suggest a 'fit to page' type setting. I'll have to do more research.

WordPerfect files converted to .pdf also produces smaller fonts. Seems to be shrinking the page.
    IP

For your problem, I may suggest perhaps not the best solution, but a quick one if you are short on time and need your work printed fast. Print your file with Adobe Acrobat professional (I think the 30 days trial will be enough until you gather around with your solution) or with macromedia flash paper
    http://www.adobe.com/products/
    IP