Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Software and employment questions

Hi, I wasn't sure where to post this but I'd like to get your opinions and experiences in design.

First of all, what software do you use for your job?

If I downloaded free trials of various programs, like Dreamweaver and Adobe Creative Suit, would that give me an accurate feel for most jobs in this field? What software is most important for the typical work, and how well do you need to know them?

Secondly, if you could share the chronology of employment you've gone through since starting out, that would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Software and employment questions

Hello, welcome in!

What you ask should take several pages long for any one to type and for you to read. More like a book I would say. Moreover, your questions are too "abstract"
    would that give me an accurate feel for most jobs in this field?
    I'd say "numerous".

how well do you need to know them?
    The more the better? Like anything else I suppose. The better you know your job the better you are at it.

Try to elaborate your request.

I apologize if I disappointed you with my answer.

Well, with today's demands for more of the web portal type of site, it really requires one to understand just which tasks are to be done within which respective part of the overall solution set...

...there is no holy grail of web developement, sitting within one box so to speak... there are however, many solutions, and templates therein, to play with, so that one may become better practiced on this subject... from there it is truly hack and roll

The grafx aspect is still the same, same as ever... create grafx, save as... upload into specific folder for...

Well, I suppose it is rather vague, but I'm trying to be as informed as possible. It'd be cool to hear a little about anyone's work history and what training got them where. Even a description of a typical work day would be helpful.

No problem, 6079. Please take a look at this thread with some informations for fresh Webdesigners.

Regards,
    Remi

I will post my same reply as another post:

I have developed websites and hosted websites for quite a few years now, the methods I use are complicated for newbies and the amount of diversities in web design are so demanding I would recommend you learn one at a time.

Graphic Design does come as part and parcel of web design and indeed is beneficial to know both of these, although other aspects like javascript, vbscript, flash, php, asp, java, css to name a few aren't necessary to produce excellent web pages.

I would recommend you concentrate on graphic design and html to start with and dreamweaver is an excellent way to start as a newbie and has a very excellent tutorial to help you start.

Hope this helps

Regards Roger

First get really really comfortable with a drawing programme it can be vector or bitmapped based but know it inside out. Then make a portfolio which can be online or not then get business, it can be friends, freebie's what ever and then tout your work to whoever will listen to you and take jobs for peanuts. You may think this very un-professional but you will get work to expand your knowledge. Please dont take any notice of people who say to you you're too inexpeinced for you to understand about design that is just silly. If you have ideas and can convert those ideas to something that people can understand then there could be a job for you in design in what ever format you want to explore just find a software package that you know well and take it from there you could be lucky. All the best to you!

The most important software for me, it has to be Acro, it does the biz for print and for the web, but is is it hard to learn, no, but it is the most impotant tool for me. Just think if your were sending something for print from IDesign on A4 how to you get the pages sorted? If you wanted a review from client would you send them the quality drawings in full PDF format? and the same can be said for any web site. You want to send low quality to any client.
    Last edited by Albacore; 30 September 2006 at 06:08 PM.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Good advice scoobywow
    Last edited by gidgit; 01 October 2006 at 03:02 AM.