Xara Xtreme firstly is a vector graphics editor, which can also do quick and simple effects with bitmap photos and images. The main reason PhotoShop is used over Xtreme is not for its ease of use over Xtreme but due to the fact more people work with bitmap images and not vector graphics (so I think). It may be quicker, drawing and painting in a paint program - more natural and maybe more enjoyable. But in the end, having a drawing created with vectors gives you greater flexibility over one solely created in pixels.

Personally, I have a greater satification having a good illustration done in vectors over pixels. Something might turn out better than expected and you might think, "humm, that'll look cool as a poster" - and being vector graphics, you can print a poster with no loss in resolution or quality.

All my computer illustrations, I've pretty much done in Xara and I rarely use paint programs and the times I did, I just use the basic tools - draw, colour, smudge/blend and that's it. For photos, the cloning tool. So for me, I'm not even sure what a "wand tool" does or how Xara needs something added to aid in creating graphics.

I guess there's two ways of looking at it. Having a program understand the user, or the user understand the program. Working with vectors is different than working with pixels and there will be a learning curve. But as you use it, over time you will discover, find, develope new techniques that will either improve the quality of your work and the speed it is done.

So maybe it's not the program for you, or you just need more time to develope your skills with the program. It may take some time, but it'll pay off in the end.