Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: The Pen

Okay I am no guru just a simple novice, humble but motivated. I am having a problem trying to make things happen with the pen tool. Sure I can create lines and squiggles but how do I fill them with colour? Any help with this would be ever so helpfull.
    IP

Okay I am no guru just a simple novice, humble but motivated. I am having a problem trying to make things happen with the pen tool. Sure I can create lines and squiggles but how do I fill them with colour? Any help with this would be ever so helpfull.
    IP

I don't know what version you are working in, so here's some information applicable to 5.5 and 6.0,and just 6.0.

A little information for a newbie and to get acquainted with the program: To color these lines, squiggles you will need to STROKE them. To color a shape, you need to Fill it. But, first things first.

After you create the object with the pen tool, go to the Paths palette. A Work Path (italicized) has been created in that palette. Double click on the name Work Path and rename it. The program may automatically name it 'Path 1', 'Path 2', etc. You can leave these names or name it yourself.

The reason to do this is important. In any palette where a name is italicized, it is temporary and you do not have full editing capabilities of that object. In the case of a line, go to the pop-up menu, pull-down menu or whatever buzz word it's called now attached to the Paths palette and select Stoke Path. Before you Stroke the path, make sure you have the correct color Brush size and utensil (Brush/Pencil) selected.

To fill a shape, create the shape with the Pen Tool > Paths Palette > Rename Work Path > Paths Palette pop-up menu > Make Selection.
    Fill it (use Paintbucket, command keys, Edit menu) with desired tool and color.

In 6.0, there is the FreeForm Pen Tool, that will fill a shape with the foreground color after you create it, there are shape and custom shape tools in the toolbox.
    HTH.
    ••••••••••••••••†¢
    Chita Hunter
    Adobe System, Inc.
    IP